Signal dropout when you need it most

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

alokep

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Mar 29, 2013
USA
What’s the solution to not having local channels when you need it the most, in bad storms with tornado sirens wailing outside?

IMO, Dish should provide online access to selected channels to those who are paying beaucoup $ per month for satellite service. After all, we are paying the licensing fee to subscribed channels anyways. Why not let us stream it in addition to dish reception?

Aloke

What’s the solution to not having local channels when you need it the most, in bad storms with tornado sirens wailing outside?

IMO, Dish should provide online access to selected channels to those who are paying beaucoup $ per month for satellite service. After all, we are paying the licensing fee to subscribed channels anyways. Why not let us stream it in addition to dish reception?

Aloke

It isn't up to Dish. The "selected channels" would have to agree to a retransmission contract that included direct streaming. Many stations have their own streaming news and weather apps as well. There are also a number of weather apps that will sound storm alerts for your area.

OTA antenna is probably the way to go.

As for alerts, there are many apps but they don’t give the level of details on the cells intensity and directions and advice that the local weather anchors provide.

I just checked. NBC app (iPhone) has streaming local channel after it verifies Dish subscription.

Thanks for the suggestion.

Edit: so does Fox. CBS app needs All Access subscription. ABC doesn’t stream live in my area.

Reactions: NYDutch

Aloke

Tell the locals to provide that service to DISH for free and sure. Some do through apps.
Otherwise I am not for any more added costs thanks. I also think it would be somewhat of a waste because then what happens when you lose power thus lose the internet? The Internet is the last thing I would rely on. Apps through cell service can work but a couple of portable radios are a must with AM still the most reliable communication there is. Second is Satellite. Radio, the Emergency Alert radio, and my Generator and DISH keep me well informed. Unless the TV station itself is knocked off the air the DISH signal is not often lost for long.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts