Signal dropping/rain

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

cappy29

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Mar 12, 2005
Aliquippa,p.a
Has anybody had an issue where it rains and your signal drops slightly and sparkles show up i'm thinking it could be my coax cable,inspected my cable before couldn't find any damage and no corroded ends but i guess the cable could be damaged and water getting in under ground any thoughts on this?

Which sats/channels are losing strength in the rain? It could be your signal is just marginal, ok in good weather but loosing out a bit in the rain, that'd cause sparkles. With a big dish and good lnb/tracking of the arc set ok, you shouldn't have rain problems very often.

Signal/rain

Which sats/channels are losing strength in the rain? It could be your signal is just marginal, ok in good weather but loosing out a bit in the rain, that'd cause sparkles. With a big dish and good lnb/tracking of the arc set ok, you shouldn't have rain problems very often.

From what i can see it's affecting G1 the channels i checked were 3 and 5 art's channel 5 was coming in clear yesterday with a signal around 78 it's got sparkles today, i also checked C4 channels 9,10 and 19 channel 9 there is only i slight drop in the signal but the picture has alot of sparkles that seem to get worse like as if the wind was blowing but it's not windy just very rainy out, i think the signal on 9 only dropped from 74 to 72 i'm sure a small drop like that shouldn't mess the picture up that much,signal was 76 on C4 channel 9 yesterday with no sparkles at all.

Make sure any coax connections outside (LNB?) are sealed up good, so no moisture can enter. As was already said, with an accurately tuned C-Band dish, rain should have little, if any, effect on the signal.:)

What size dish do you have, which receiver ? Could be a water-problem, but usually water will cause it to drop in and out as it messes with the voltage carried by the cable. Other possibilities might be 1. weak/dying lnb 2.dish that has developed a tracking problem, loose bolts 3.Tree branch or some other obstruction that sometimes waves in the wind. 4. polarity motor gone goofy or needs adjusting.
I'd go with the cable/connectors first, once it dries out so you can check them.

signal dropping

What size dish do you have, which receiver ? Could be a water-problem, but usually water will cause it to drop in and out as it messes with the voltage carried by the cable. Other possibilities might be 1. weak/dying lnb 2.dish that has developed a tracking problem, loose bolts 3.Tree branch or some other obstruction that sometimes waves in the wind. 4. polarity motor gone goofy or needs adjusting.
I'd go with the cable/connectors first, once it dries out so you can check them.

Hi, yeah i think i'll probably have to go with the 3 thing you said however the tree is blocking regardless of if it's raining or not, my lnb is new,and i have a GI dsr 922 and a 10 foot wingard quadstar dish with thompson saginaw dishmover, for example W3 channel 20 DR.gene scott my signal is 80 not bad guess it could be better no sparkles though,G4 channel 16 signal of 90,W5 signal 100/quality 99 on all channels,G5 cannot receive at all,C3 channel 7 signal 66/68 fairly heavy sparkles,G1 channel 5 arts. signal 72 with some sparkles,C4 channel 9 signal 74/76 light sparkles,so it's possible my dish could be out of allignment i take it that the southern most satellite would be W3 for the zenith satellite on c-band and C4 for what they call the extreme satellite for your side to side adjustment on the pole,i'm also going to check to make sure my feedhorn throat is centered with a tool that slide's onto the throat and shoot's a laser out to tell if it centered and will probably trim the tree some to see if that helps.

Rain on my C-band digital makes very little difference, even on my western most sats that are down low on the horizon. Ku takes a bit of a hit but not too much with my 10' dish.

I would say you are taking water in a coax joint, or in your feed horn. Check your gaskets between your lnbs and feed horn. Water in those points will really take a hit on your signal.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)