Signal Increase This Weekend??

I think the SD versions of those channels are pan & scan, so HBO/Showtime/Cinemax, etc. probably want the regular SD channel version to cater to those people with 4x3 standard definition TVs that don't want letterbox.. which is pretty much noone on VOOM, but I think this is probably why they have this policy in place.

Sean Dudley

ESPN won't allow any provider to carry ESPN-HD unless they also carry (and pay for) ESPN, ESPN News, and ESPN2. It has been confirmed in the past that HBO and Showtime would not sell their HD feeds separately from the SD channels.

Even if Voom could drop a duplicate SD feed of a premium, they'll have to pay for it either way, which means you'll have to pay for it too.

Ken F said:
ESPN won't allow any provider to carry ESPN-HD unless they also carry (and pay for) ESPN, ESPN News, and ESPN2. It has been confirmed in the past that HBO and Showtime would not sell their HD feeds separately from the SD channels.

Even if Voom could drop a duplicate SD feed of a premium, they'll have to pay for it either way, which means you'll have to pay for it too.

this is kind of dumb, because I would gladly still pay them full cost just for the HD channel. I don't even watch the SD version of any of these channels, so why not just get rid of them, and keep paying what we're paying?

GeneWildershair said:
this is kind of dumb, because I would gladly still pay them full cost just for the HD channel. I don't even watch the SD version of any of these channels, so why not just get rid of them, and keep paying what we're paying?
I agree. I think most of Voom's customers are only using Voom for HD in a Home Theater/Recreation Room type of setup. With big HD sets and projectors most SD looks like Doodoo anyway.

My understanding is that when services such as Voom contracts for a certain channel, they get it as part of a package and have to broadcast the other channels in the package as well.

With that said, I wouldn't mind compressing the heck out of the stations that are the SD duplicates of the HD channels. Whose watching them anyway.

I am. ESPN HD doesn't show a lot of the programming like PTI that the SD channels show. And I am one grumpy a$$hole without my daily dose of PTI :). Plus a lot of us use multiple Voom receivers in rooms without HD TVs. My second, when it finally gets connected on Saturday (long story) will feed component out at 480i to my 27" Panasonic. I want Voom to be my ONLY solution, and until ESPN puts all of it's programming on the HD channel I have to ahve the SD version as well.

madpoet said:
ESPN HD doesn't show a lot of the programming like PTI that the SD channels show. And I am one grumpy a$$hole without my daily dose of PTI :).

I completely agree as to ESPN, Bravo, and Discovery, because their HD channels are programmed differently from the SD. My suggestion is just to get rid of the ones that are duplicates -- HBO, Showtime, Cinemax, TMC, Starz and Encore. But its probably -- HBO may require cable and sat companies to carry the main HBO feed in SD no matter what, even if virtually all their subscribers are watching the HD version. Maybe HBO would be willing to alter the terms of that contract if the Voom box allows you to watch the HD channels on an SD television. In that case, then the only difference would be the pan & scan vs. letterboxing issue.
If we have to keep them, I like the idea of compressing the heck out of 'em.

theres a real easy solution to all of this. drop Moov and add espnhd. combine just one of those cinema channels. 1 HD channel is equal to about 10 SD channels I think. That way you keep your quality.

Based on the movie library in Cinema 10 (yawn), they should shrink it from 10 to 5. This has been mentioned before. That would free up space for 50 SD channels (vurbano, don't know if thats correct either but I'm going with it). Think what they could add:

40 PPV movie channels+1 HD PPV channel (for boxing and wrestling fans, this is huge)
OR
a rotating sports package depending on the season, ie MLB Extra Innings
OR
Regional Sports Networks
OR
5 national feeds of networks for people living too far from an OTA network. (CBS,ABC,NBC,FOX,PBS=5)

The list goes on.

Actually this kind of talk is a moot point, when Voom goes to Mpeg-4 it will free up all kinds of space.

They should still cut cinema 10 to 5 though.

astrossuperfan said:
Actually this kind of talk is a moot point, when Voom goes to Mpeg-4 it will free up all kinds of space.

They should still cut cinema 10 to 5 though.

Can't help but wonder what if any drawbacks to MPEG 4 exist. Such as picture going black then white static then picture returns(couldn't resist) audio dropouts, etc.

Any engineering types with actual experience with MPEG-4 wish to comment.

By the way, cinema 10 dropped to 5 would please a lot of people. Saying that you've got 5 more HD stations with so many repeats gives the impression that Voom is playing with the numbers.

JimP said:
My understanding is that when services such as Voom contracts for a certain channel, they get it as part of a package and have to broadcast the other channels in the package as well.

With that said, I wouldn't mind compressing the heck out of the stations that are the SD duplicates of the HD channels. Whose watching them anyway.

Yea, that's an idea! If VOOM is forced to carry these duplicate SD versions of the channels, they should compress them so much that they take up hardly and bandwidth and are unwatchable, but meet the requirement of being there.

I Agree cinema 10 Should Be Cut Back To 5. They Could Play 2 Movies On Each Instead Of One. That Would Be Good For 5 More HD Channels.
No They Should Not Compress The Duplicate SD Channels. Sometimes The HD Channels Act Up But You Can Still Watch The SD Version.

seandudley said:
Yea, that's an idea! If VOOM is forced to carry these duplicate SD versions of the channels, they should compress them so much that they take up hardly and bandwidth and are unwatchable, but meet the requirement of being there.

This is a Great idea!

Me too!

I know I've been have reception problems on the hd channels too.....Zoom had better get it together before Direct tv offer some free hd boxes with their installs and other sat. co. offer more hd.......Zoom's programming packages kinda suck......only 2 packages........basic or everything...or pay $14.50 for every extra tier.......and on top of that we're paying twice as much to rent these boxes.......and we're getting less channels.......I'm not real happy when I think about all this and I see my credit card charge :mad:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts