Signal Issues

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

bryantcombs

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Feb 28, 2008
I am having an odd issue. I have two dual tuner receivers one vip622 in my living room and one vip722 in my bedroom. The receiver in the living room never loses signal and never has a problem. The one in the bedroom has a signal every now and again but for the most part is always at the screen where its at a progress meter going through the transponders and cant find the signal. But at other times it comes in and works just fine. Now I thought of cable issues from the dish or the splitters they install but where its going in and out like that it makes me wonder if it is something with the receiver itself. Have any of you ran into this before, any help would be appreciated.

Had a similar problem a while back turned out to be the dish head. The switch built into the dish head was bad on a port. To find out I went out to the ground block and flipped the wires. When I did this the other receiver started having the problem and my second did not. Just replaced the dish head (bought on ebay) and problem solved.

what do you mean when you say dish head is that like the splitter thing, or something on the dish, sorry kind of new to this.

If the LNB is the problem then switching cables on it will show if the problem tracks with the output. You may need to run a check switch. You didn't say if you have an external switch, unlikely for 2 receivers.

You may be confusing the separator on the back of each DVR with an ordinary splitter. It is a specialized band-pass splitter that work only for Dish Pro Plus and can only be used on the dual tuner so keep it with its 3" cables.

If the problem is in the receiver, test them by swapping them.

If the problem still does not move with swapping the cables at the LNB, then you should inspect the cables and any unions/barrels/ferrules or wall feed-thrus in the signal path. They should be blue core, not white. Also look for rust or wire hairs shorting the cable or damage/crimping/stapling of the cable.

The white will likely work and were working for me but my installer would not "give" the third dual DVR until he replaced all my bulkhead feed-thrus with just the cable coming out of the wall and blue ones. He did leave more barrels to clean up the work. I had to make new wall-plate inserts for the blues using additional inserts and nuts for plain barrels. The old inserts had crimped-on barrels but the new nuts were too big and had to go outside the wall-plates.

-Ken