Signal level vs quality level?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Mrsatguy

Original poster
Jul 10, 2006
I have my 90cm fortec antenna aimed at Telstar 5 and get signal level at 85%. However Quality level changes from transponder to transponder. The most quality I can get is 80% at on transponders starting at 12***. When switched to transporders starting at 11***, quality drops to 35%. Would anyone know what's causing it.?

Signal quality will always be different from transponder to transponder. That's normal, but I just checked IA-5 and I only get about 10 points of signal quality fluctuation.

I would try re-skewing the LNB and renew or check all cable ends.

I would definately recheck everything. Since you're hitting it, find the weakest TP you can find and tweak everything and try to get the highest SQ you can for that TP. My dish was offline some and I was getting atleast 50% on every availble TP on IA5! It's a realitly strong sat IMO.

Article on Signal and Quality

Nice article on signal strength and its relation to quality, the article is a little to advanced for me but you might find it interesting.

The link is a PDF of the newest issue of Tele-satellite magazine, Please scroll to page 12 for the actual article.

http://www.tele-satellite.net/magazine/TELE-satellite-0609-eng.pdf

Other articles of Interest are on c-band using 1.2 meter dish.

And a Nice do it yourself involving a tin can and copper tubing, something I'll leave for the DIY project people.

Thank you for advice

PSB said:
Signal quality will always be different from transponder to transponder. That's normal, but I just checked IA-5 and I only get about 10 points of signal quality fluctuation.

I would try re-skewing the LNB and renew or check all cable ends.

Your help is greatly appreciated.

Check the skew of the LNB. In my coolsat IA-5 signal quality varies from 69 to 91. on TAN TV it is 69 and on Russia Today it is 91.
(But my coolsat never shows SQ between 69 and 87. It jumps from 62-63 or 67-69 or 87-88 or 89-91!) Below 63 it does not work.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts