signal levels

Status
Please reply by conversation.

luis2

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Jul 27, 2013
Toronto
I have one coolsat 5000 on the firmware 100 only and quality at 97 west are 94 .Then I install the firmware 100 and then the v.06 third party.signal levels are set to Oem 100 levels on the different Coolsat 5000 an on the 97 west same place and the signal are only 76.Are better more realistic signal level at oem 100 levels?

Confused slightly by the (translated?) question.
Let me try:
coolsat 5000 with firmware version 100. 97W quality reading are 94.
Then loaded third party firmware and the quality readings drop to 76.
Is this normal?
Could be. They could have re-calibrated the Quality meter via the firmware.
As to if they are more realistic. Depends on what they, the man or team writing the firmware code, determined to be reasonable or realistic.
Every receiver brand will produce different Quality readings. My S9 shows 70, and the Pansat3500 will show 85, on the same transponder. The only thing to 'shoot for' is maximum. And the only consideration of what firmware to use is the one that works the best for you.
?
Wouldn't it be nice if instead of only a Quality meter, an actual BER reading? (Bit Error Rate)

Fat air Thank you. I did one installation .And setup the 36 inch dish and on the coolsat 5000 firmware 100 I have 94 Quality .But then I find Four new coolsats 5000 for $120 .Because same times I do same installations for the portugues on the rtp at 97 west.And I find the firmware third party for the coolsat 5000 and state signal levels are set to oem 100 levels and I load the firmware and the picture very good only the quality are only 76.But if I put the receiver I use to install are at 94 different firmware but no difference on the picture.I decide to leave the new receiver to the customer

Good call.
If you were to mis-aim slightly to reduce the quality readings, the one that showed 97 while peaked, would probably start to have breakups somewhere near 50 quality. And the receiver with a 76 reading would not breakup until the quality fell below somewhere near 35. It's all relative. As long as there's a solid 'lock' on the signal everything is golden.
I had at one time a Pansat where the Quality reading became stuck. Showed something like 30 all the time. As long as connected to a tuned up dish, no problem. Couldn't use it to aim a new dish though. It's now landfill somewhere.

My AZBoxes will show Q numbers up around 100% on some Sats TPs but the S9 on that exact same dish will hardly go above 75%? As was said, just peak the TPs and don't worry about the Q %.

I recommend you use the third party V0.06 firmware.
We even have it available for the 5000 and the 6000, in our download section.
It contains a number of bug fixes and improvements after the factory abandoned the product.
(see comments listed in Firmware Download)
http://www.satelliteguys.us/downloads.php?do=cat&id=3
As to the Quality level needed to receive any picture, that can vary between transponders with differing specification.
I believe you had to obtain around Q=62? , before you could see the channel.
And the maximum Q you could ever get wasn't very high, either.
Not a great meter.
Iceberg would remember; he mastered that receiver very early. :up
?.
edit: I think we misunderstood your question.
Were you asking about audio levels for all the channels?
The 3rd party firmware did change the default level.
There is no "correct" value; set it where you like. ;)
I found 100% more convenient for me.

Last edited:
I don't like having arbitrary numbers on meters either, but at least FTA receivers are a little more sensible than Dish Network receivers. Their meters go to 125, even though the normal signal strength isn't even half of that!

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)