Signal Loss Again

HanoverPretzel

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Oct 6, 2006
I just got back into town after some time away. I came back to something that alternates between complete and partial signal loss on some channels. Other channels come in alright.

Honestly, it's a toss up between neighbors I had feuded with maliciously knocking the Dish around on their way out of town (They got evicted and it was attached to the exterior of their apartment with the landlord's consent) or the thing just being knocked around by weather again (It's happened before- the placement on the building was never what I'd have considered ideal, seemed very precariously perched).

What are some quick diagnostics I can run to determine whether this is something I can fix myself without physically touching the Dish, something that will just fix itself, or something I'm going to need to call a Dish technician out to handle?

Dish handled it for free the last time, but I hear sometimes they charge big bucks (Don't know how they determine whether they charge or not) and of course I'd rather save their time and my time by fixing it at the receiver level if I can (Plus be able to watch any channel I want asap). There are also going to be logistical issues getting to the physical Dish if I do call a technician out. The jerk ex-neighbors basically flooding the sidewalk with piles of miscellaneous things on their way out, so it'd be hard to get a truck and a ladder in to get at the Dish. Theoretically it could be accessed from the now vacant apartment, but I'd need to get the key from the landlord.

So, let's see if it's something we can fix or diagnose at the receiver level first. What do you guys recommend I try?

First I would run a switch test and see what your signal is. Low signal will cause all sorts of problems. Make sure you have a good line of sight as in trees growing up blocking the signals. Check all connectors for corrosion or looseness. If you have DHPP then a service call should not cost more than 15 dollars.

First I would run a switch test and see what your signal is. Low signal will cause all sorts of problems.

Signal strength 21.

Make sure you have a good line of sight as in trees growing up blocking the signals.

No tree growth in the last few months since I last had this thing repaired. :)

Check all connectors for corrosion or looseness.

I'll confirm that and reset the box, but I doubt that's the issue here.

If you have DHPP then a service call should not cost more than 15 dollars.

Don't have a DHPP. Don't want a DHPP. Honestly, if they can't do it for free, that'll probably be the final straw that makes me move on after my contract is up. To me when I subscribe to a service, if something interrupts me getting the service, it's the responsibility of the provider I'm paying for the service from to fix it so that I get what I'm paying them for, not me. Cable always did it free of charge. But that's premature to talk about. Hopefully I can either get this thing up and running myself or someone will come out and fix it for free.

Unplugged the box and tightened all the connections. No dice. I guess I'll check outside to the very limited wiring I have access to. If no one has any suggestions beyond that, I guess the next step is to call Dish if that doesn't work.

Honestly, if they want a $99 charge to fix it, I might be better off paying a $175 termination fee (If I even pay that, I could easily fight it- my credit sucks enough that it can't possibly suck too much more, so if I feel I"m getting screwed, I could easily just keep reversing charges and if my credit rating takes enough hit 'Eh', might be worth it to stick it to the man) and walking to another provider who'll save me more than $75 in the first three months alone. I hear Directv even reimburses for early termination fees. But, again, who knows, maybe they'll fix it for free. Don't want to make assumptions.

Okay. Got someone scheduled to come out and fix it free of charge.

The live online assistance handled that pretty well. So far, so good.

Sorry if my above posts seem a little cranky, it's my nature, and it's been a heck a tough month for non-dish related reasons. ;)

HanoverPretzel said:
Signal strength 21.

No tree growth in the last few months since I last had this thing repaired. :)

I'll confirm that and reset the box, but I doubt that's the issue here.

Don't have a DHPP. Don't want a DHPP. Honestly, if they can't do it for free, that'll probably be the final straw that makes me move on after my contract is up. To me when I subscribe to a service, if something interrupts me getting the service, it's the responsibility of the provider I'm paying for the service from to fix it so that I get what I'm paying them for, not me. Cable always did it free of charge. But that's premature to talk about. Hopefully I can either get this thing up and running myself or someone will come out and fix it for free.

When you say a signal strength of 21 which sat was that and what dish do you have?
I have been having partial signal loss on several channels for quite some time; HLN 202 is the primary one but there are others. I have had a tech out and my signals are fine, I'm on EA.
Usually moving up or down one channel and back solves the problem.
Someone did mention that it could be a bad diplexer, I have a 722, if it gets really bad I will pull the receiver out of the entertainment center and change it (I just happen to have an extra). Besides as soon as I get the OTA antenna up we just may pull the plug to save some cash.

Good luck

Ross

Sent from my rooted DROIDX (Liberty Gingerbread) using SatelliteGuys

Okay. Got someone scheduled to come out and fix it free of charge.

The live online assistance handled that pretty well. So far, so good.

Sorry if my above posts seem a little cranky, it's my nature, and it's been a heck a tough month for non-dish related reasons. ;)

:eek: You cranky..... Wherever would we get such an idea:D

Sounds like the dish is out of alignment, but you need to check a couple of different transponders on each of the sats. 21 doesn't mean good or bad if it is a spotbeam that you are on the edge of. 21 on a conus transponder that covers the entire US is bad.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)