Signal loss problem

WildBill

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jan 27, 2004
Florida
I have a snowbird account and have just returned north from FL. bringing my receivers (Hopper w. sling, Super Joey, & regular Joey) with me. Hooked them up and called Dish to switch locals. Everything seemed fine at first, but then I started getting occasional signal loss error messages and spontaneous switch checking. I've done a power cord reboot as well as several check-switch tests (with and without sat. cable connected) and get a failure on tuner 3. Reception on all three sats (61.5, 72, 77) shows a good signal strength of around 47. This has been going on for several days now. No weather problems and no equipment changes since all was well last fall.

Any ideas or suggestions would be appreciated.

Bill

Yea, loose or bad connection or a bad wire or other component that can't pass the hi frequency that tuner 3 uses.

Thanks guys. I'll get out and check them tomorrow.

Got delayed by three days of rain, but finally checked all the connections except those at the roof-mounted dish. All were tight with no signs of corrosion when I disconnected them. Unfortunately, I'm still having problems. Tuner 3 is still x-ed out on the diagnostic summary screen which also shows switch DPP 1k.4 reception verified, node not connected (don't know if that is normal). Also, if my wife is watching on the super joey when I turn on the hopper, she loses the signal and I get an error message that there is a problem with the super joey. After cancelling out of test switch screens, reception returns on both the Hopper and Super Joey. I'm wondering if there is a component failure somewhere, but I don't know enough to track it down.

I have the same problem and have checked my connections as well. I guess the next step will be to check individual cable runs.

Got delayed by three days of rain, but finally checked all the connections except those at the roof-mounted dish. All were tight with no signs of corrosion when I disconnected them. Unfortunately, I'm still having problems. Tuner 3 is still x-ed out on the diagnostic summary screen which also shows switch DPP 1k.4 reception verified, node not connected (don't know if that is normal). Also, if my wife is watching on the super joey when I turn on the hopper, she loses the signal and I get an error message that there is a problem with the super joey. After cancelling out of test switch screens, reception returns on both the Hopper and Super Joey. I'm wondering if there is a component failure somewhere, but I don't know enough to track it down.
Check switch on one receiver could possibly disrupt signal on other receivers depending on what's done in the check switch process

I have the same problem and have checked my connections as well. I guess the next step will be to check individual cable runs.

Good luck. The only times I have had cable problems over the years it was either due to lose/corroded connections or animals chewing though the insulation. Plus the installation of my HWS and Joeys was just last fall, so most of the cable is new. That's why I'm thinking component failure is more likely.

Check switch on one receiver could possibly disrupt signal on other receivers depending on what's done in the check switch process

Sounds reasonable, but I still don't know what is triggering the tuner failure and check switch to begin with.

Finally had a tech come out and the problem turned out to be a bad cable from a previous install that had been re-used.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)