Signal Loss Victor Montana

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

rrroeper

Original poster
Nov 11, 2004
I am a new user and have run into a very squirrly bug.

I have a 5200 unit which I took over from the previous owner. Was functioning fine prior. New yellow card supplied few days before we moved in.

We started with intermittant signal 1 week ago. Of course I called the Techies when there was no signal: did all the usual reboots hot and cold, checked the lines, switched between new and old cards, checked the fittings on the dish, etcetera.

The pattern of signal loss suggests some intermittant obstruction to the signal: we have good signal >100 between mid morning and mid afternoon this past week, only to lose it completely (0)in the evening and all night and early morning. Yesterday, we actually had signal until we went to bed last night, but then again no signal until mid morning, sometime between 9 and 10 am mountain time.

I've checked carefully the line of site of the antenna, and there's no obstructive buildings and no "Mac trucks" that drive in front to the south. (as suggested by tech support)

Any suggestions? If this isn't cured by tuesday next when the local people come out I'm thinking of replacing everything and asking for a new account.

Thanks in advance for your responses....

Robh

My first guess would be a cable problem. Cable heats up during the day and a loose/broken contact is connected. When it cools down the metal shrinks enough and contact is broken. Not sure if this would be a wire or something with a switch or LNB.

To test the cable connection leave it hooked to your reciever and go out to where the dish connection is with a multimeter and check the voltage (touch the inner wire to + and the outer metal screw on thing to -) Should be 14-18v. Make sure reciever is on :)

In the fall the sun affects the signal, but usually only for a few minutes every day. And I believe that was a few weeks ago.

I would try and run a new wire from the dish first, then possibly replacing the LNB. Good luck :)

thanks for your reply

burned out coupling in the wire. Replaced and up and running. You were right....

Thanks

Robert

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)