Signal lost but other tvs work?? help

ESPhil

Original poster
Dec 7, 2005
I was watching tv on food network when all of a sudden I got a screen saying acquiring signal. It had the test and went 1 of 5 2 0f 5, and so on. Then it would start over again. I checked other tvs, we have a 2nd tv running off the dvr upstairs and it was working fine. But the tv1 with the reciever said acquiring signal. Also our hdtv reciever is working fine. I don't understand what could be the problem. I called the support and said they would send someone out monday. Any one know of this problem?

check the signal strength on your receiver (menu-6-1-1). It could be a bad or loose connector. It could be possible a bad receiver/switch/lnb/etc. Its just hard to say with the info that you gave.

Hi,

Its interesting because I am getting the exact same problem. My receiver in the basement is losing signal every 5 - 10 minutes. It doesn't matter what channel I'm watching - I get a pop-up "Searching Transponder" screen and I would lose video and audio momentarily. It then returns within a minute or so. The process repeats itself constantly. I have tried switching cables, plugging into a different port on the switch, and same problem. My DVR upstair does not have this problem at all. I am beginning to think there may be a problem w/ the receiver itself. I wanted to see if anyone here is having a similar problem.

Most of the time when receivers do this they are bad.

Not always the case just depending on how the install is. The cold weather is making some of the ends that stupid installers put on "Crimp on" come apart. This causing the voltage from the receiver to the lnb to be lost.

The problem could also be because of a bad switch or lnb but my guess would be the Receiver.

koolkat1973, I agree with Tate that it probably is the receiver but I would check every connector from the dish/lnb to the receiver by unscrewing the connector and make sure the shield/braid isn't touching the center conductor and make sure there are no signs of water getting in.

Thanks for the input. The receiver I have is a DP301 and its only about a year and a half old. Is this a pretty common problem with this receiver? I have pretty much ruled out the fact that this is a cabling or LNB problem. I've connected this receiver to the other port on the switch and same problem. I've tried connecting to a different coax jack in the house and same problem. I've tried changing the coax cables and same problem. Anyone know if there is a software upgrade that may fix this or is this definitely a receiver problem? If it is a receiver problem, will Dish send me another unit free or charge or do I have to go out and buy a new receiver? Thanks again everyone.

call tech support, and I will tell you why, if is the rcvr they will want to tbl sht before replacing that rcvr. although looking at your tbl sht I would definently say it is the rcvr the other question I would have is it only on some channels, such as one's on transponder 6? I had a 301 that would drop signal intermitantly, the tech said it was known issue and replaced the rcvr. by the way if you take a reciver from a location to another known working location, run a chk sw tst and still find the problem happens it is most definitly the rcvr. tell the tech. and if he does not belive it, escalate the problem.

Someone earlier mentioning the cold reminded me of a problem that occurs this time of year.

If the installer cut the stingers (center conductor) too short, when the cable gets cold, the copper contracts, and this can be enough to pull it away from the female connector.

I ALWAYS leave the stinger MORE THAN 1/8" beyond the connector rim.

I have the same problem. Two 301's - one that goes through the acquiring signal cycle and the other that doesn't. I've also performed all of the normal suggestions as well as swapping cables between the two. Only one of the boxes consistantly shows this behavior. It would logically appear that only the one box is bad.

Interesting that others are having the same experience over the last couple of weeks.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts