Signal lost during rain storms VIP222K

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

Pappy52

Original poster
Aug 29, 2013
SlipperyRock, PA
Hello All

I am hoping to get educated so I can understand what is going on. About 6 months ago I upgraded my Dish Network System to a new VIP222K HD System. I have noticed with this new system that every time it rain, I loose the signal.

System Setup: The installer has the new dish pointed East at satellite 61.5. I would say that my normal signal strength is around 40 to 42. When storm hits the picture will start to pixelate and the I get one of three screens. 1. Complete loss of signal 2. Partial Loss of Signal or 3. Switching to SD, HD signal lost.

What I have done: I looked at System Info and noticed that I have two satellites (61.5 & 72.7). So I went to the signal strength screen and all channels are coming in on 61.5. Again signal strength is in the low 40's. So I switched it to 72 and the signal strength jumped to 55 to 59 and TV is fine. I have not checked this during a rain storm but I am hoping this will keep a signal.

My Questions: Do I have a dish pointing problem? I ask this because of the low signal strengths. My old dish system was always up at 75 or above.
What should a good signal be? I live in SlipperyRock, PA 16057
Are the transponders setable? Every time I set it to one I get the strongest signal from it changes on its own. My best signals come in with transponder set to 1, 5 or 6. Signal strength 55 to 59. Any other signal strength runs in 50 to 53.

Thank you all in advance for any education I get or a fix for my problem..

Sounds like a pointing problem. Possibly an LNB problem or cabling.

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys

Hello All

I am hoping to get educated so I can understand what is going on. About 6 months ago I upgraded my Dish Network System to a new VIP222K HD System. I have noticed with this new system that every time it rain, I loose the signal.

System Setup: The installer has the new dish pointed East at satellite 61.5. I would say that my normal signal strength is around 40 to 42. When storm hits the picture will start to pixelate and the I get one of three screens. 1. Complete loss of signal 2. Partial Loss of Signal or 3. Switching to SD, HD signal lost.

What I have done: I looked at System Info and noticed that I have two satellites (61.5 & 72.7). So I went to the signal strength screen and all channels are coming in on 61.5. Again signal strength is in the low 40's. So I switched it to 72 and the signal strength jumped to 55 to 59 and TV is fine. I have not checked this during a rain storm but I am hoping this will keep a signal.

My Questions: Do I have a dish pointing problem? I ask this because of the low signal strengths. My old dish system was always up at 75 or above.
What should a good signal be? I live in SlipperyRock, PA 16057
Are the transponders setable? Every time I set it to one I get the strongest signal from it changes on its own. My best signals come in with transponder set to 1, 5 or 6. Signal strength 55 to 59. Any other signal strength runs in 50 to 53.

Thank you all in advance for any education I get or a fix for my problem..
You can't set satellites or transponders. The channel you select determines which satellite and transponder are chosen by the 222. Each transponder on each satellite have different signals 61.5 transponder 11 will not have the same channels on it as 72.7 transponder 11 they also may have different signal strengths. 61.5 being 15-20% less than 72.7 suggests the signal may be improved.

Thanks for the info. I have checked, I don't know how many times on my signal strength to try and learn what is happening. Since I have changed my satellite to 72, I have not seen it change. The only thing that changes appears to be the transponder. My signal strength seem to stay in the upper 50's using satellite 72. If the signal can be improved, is it a guess? Does it matter if it's on a HD or SD channel? What signal strength should I see or be shooting for?
My old system, (not HD) was pointed at 110 and always had a strong signal. Normal rain storms would not effect it. It took a heavy thunderstorm to take the signal out, Should my dish be pointed back at 110 or is 61.5 and 72 the HD satellites?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)