Signal lost or very pixelated picture with 3 dishes pointed at Eastern Arc

fooit

Original poster
Sep 6, 2011
Canada
Here's my setup: 3 dishes with Legacy LNBs pointed at 72.7 (24" dish), 77(24" dish) and 61.5 (20" dish500), SW64, and 2 receivers - 211 and 211k.

For many years I had these 3 dishes pointed at 61.5 (dish500), 110 (24") and 119 (24") with occasional signal lost when there was a heavy rain or snow, but even then it looked like I never loose signal on 61.5, so now that Eatern Arc has been launched and I finally upgraded my receivers to MPEG4, I decided to re-point my dishes to Eastern Arc satellites...
So did it in September, and the best I could get in signal levels on Home transponders is:
61.5 (home transponder 29) - 75
72 (home transponder 21) - 50
77 (home transponder 21) - 40

The problem is that right now I very often loose signal completely or the picture is so pixalated it's not watchable...
What should I check to find out the problem?
Or should I just re-point back to 110/119?
Would switching to DishPro LNBs and SW44 help in any way?

Hi and to :welcomeSAT Guys! It is really hard to answer your questions without a lot of additional information. The pixelation and complete signal loss issue seem to be DISH related. Your dish is not peaked for the signals. Is there a reason you chose not to have a techician do your installation. If you would like me to see about getting a service call scheduled, please PM me your account information and I can see what I can do. Thank you!

Yes, I can guess it's hard - just looking for some guidance where to start to dig...

What signals levels should one expect to get on 24" dish pointed to 72.7 bird, say, in Buffalo NY?

Yes, I used this website to get directions how to point my dishes.

Question - what if I will have two 24" dishes pointed at 72.7 and 110, how will receiver pick what satellites to use for a specific channel, say kids channels between 170 and 180?

Question - what if I will have two 24" dishes pointed at 72.7 and 110, how will receiver pick what satellites to use for a specific channel, say kids channels between 170 and 180?
The way it was explained to me is in the Satellite Matrix, displayed on Menu 6-1-1, select on Check Switch. This Installation Summary screen shows the satellite Matrix, going from left to right is the way the receiver will pull channels. The first satellite will download all channels available and then each progressive satellite will pull any channels not pulled by the previous satellite(s).

Im in WNY just south of Buffalo. I have a similar setup, dedicated Dish 500 dishes for 61.5 and 72.7. Signals on 61.5 range from low 50's to high 60's. TPs 4 and 8 are strongest @ 68 on a clear day. 72.7 signals range in the 50's pretty tightly spaced. I dont have a dish pointed at 77....nothing on there of interest to me. According to the stats used by Dish that lists the averages for each DMA my signals are slightly above average for the area. You can find the signal strength list by searching the forums here.

Edit:
here is the link

http://www.satelliteguys.us/dish-network-forum/256056-list-minimum-average-thresholds.html

Last edited:
Seems like my SW64 caused all the problems - tried to hook my receivers directly to 72.7 and all the problems seem to go away.
Will test it like that for a while and report back.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)