Signal low?

branchbouncer

Supporting Founder
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Apr 5, 2004
Massanutten,VA
Well the E* service was installed yesterday, The installer did not like to work on a ladder it seems, so I helped him. When we were tweaking the signal I held the meter for him so I really could be the levels. He said that it was good, we went ahead and got all the boxes installed 2-211 and 2-612, never really did any checking as we were watching the football games, this morning I decided to check out the menus and setting, ran a switch check, let the box run it's checks. When it was done I checked the signal strengths and they seem low to me 61.5 checks at 50 or so 72.7 about 60 and 77 about 60. When I go back down through the list and get too 61.5 it's around 36. seems low across the board as the bar goes from 0 to 125, I know I won't get a 125 but I assumed that if it was truly tweaked it would be in the 80's or so. Sorry I should have mentioned that this is an EA install with a dish 1000.4

Last edited:
The 61.5 is the oldest and weakest of the 3 satellites you are receiving. The transponders that you get a 50 on don't worry about, but the 36 or lower can be a problem on a rainy day. A few months ago Dish reprogrammed all of their recievers to display the same signal strength. What used to be a 90 will now be a 50 reading, and if you get a 60, thats about the same as 100 under the old system. Enjoy!

Well the E* service was installed yesterday, The installer did not like to work on a ladder it seems, so I helped him. When we were tweaking the signal I held the meter for him so I really could be the levels. He said that it was good, we went ahead and got all the boxes installed 2-211 and 2-612, never really did any checking as we were watching the football games, this morning I decided to check out the menus and setting, ran a switch check, let the box run it's checks. When it was done I checked the signal strengths and they seem low to me 61.5 checks at 50 or so 72.7 about 60 and 77 about 60. When I go back down through the list and get too 61.5 it's around 36. seems low across the board as the bar goes from 0 to 125, I know I won't get a 125 but I assumed that if it was truly tweaked it would be in the 80's or so. Sorry I should have mentioned that this is an EA install with a dish 1000.4

It's a screwed up scale that's misleading to read. From what I can piece together, a value of around 65 or 70 equates to what 100 used to mean on the old scale that really was 0-125. When Dish changed the signal meter about 18 months ago they left the old scale in place on the screen.

So while the numbers now apparently match the equipment the techs use when they are on the roof, it's not an accurate proportional display on screen.

Was wondering about the readings, when we first set up the boxes I seem to remember seeing a signal strength of around 89 before they started to do downloads and "coping to memory do not turn off". Then this morning when I started to chech the menus out I was surprised to see such low readings

Another question on the Satellite input screen(under Installation Summary) on the Inputs 1 says 72 input 2 says 77 and input 3 says 61.5, I thought that Input 1 was to be 77 and Input 2 was to be 72 and Input 3 was 61.5

Was wondering about the readings, when we first set up the boxes I seem to remember seeing a signal strength of around 89 before they started to do downloads and "coping to memory do not turn off". Then this morning when I started to chech the menus out I was surprised to see such low readings

Yeah, when I bought my new 722 last October and first connected it, it had the old signal scale loaded and everything was through the roof. Then it did its updates and just about everything was 40 to low 60s.

Another question on the Satellite input screen(under Installation Summary) on the Inputs 1 says 72 input 2 says 77 and input 3 says 61.5, I thought that Input 1 was to be 77 and Input 2 was to be 72 and Input 3 was 61.5

The center LNB is mapped to Input 1. Same with a 1000.2. 119 is input 1. It's the LNB peaked on in both cases. I think it is to make things consistent back to the old days when 119 was actually input 1 but I'm not exactly sure about that.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)