Signal meter rental, remote install

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Camplate

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Mar 28, 2004
Anyone have an opinion on this?

Spectrum Spot | Single Wire Multiswitch SWM or SWiM System | Rental kits for DIY alignment

I got everything mounted but could not find the satellites.

I'm at my cabin, I bought a SL3 SWM. I get the cable run, mount the dish.

First questions: it came with a bubble level. Do you leave it in the post and put the dish mount over it? Though I don't know if I could see the level once the mount is on, though there is a viewing hole. The bubble was inside the circle, but not perfect. I didn't know what to do to make it perfect.

If I am mounting on a vertical wall, do I need those 'arms'? Know what I am talking about? They are rods that have mounting brackets on one end and attach to the dish pole on the other end?

First problem: there was something magnetic on the elevation mount. I'd get the compass within a few inches and the needle would swing right around. I lined up as best I could trying to eyeball, holding the compass away from the mount. There was something I did later that mostly confirmed I was pointed in the right direction.

Second problem: I didn't have the power inserter hooked up. 'Someone' didn't find it in the box until later. When I did hook it up the receiver went right to 17 (or 18), knowing it was a SWM. But it did not give an option of selecting a multiswitch. Now, I don't need a multiswitch, do I have to have it inline? But the problem was it now wanted a lower elevation and tilt. The tilt is not easy to change on this dish! I needed an offset box wrench to be able to loosen the tilt bolts, which I didn't have. So back down everything comes to change the tilt. Is the tilt a set and forget setting?

Actually that is all for now. I did everything I could think of and didn't get a signal. I ran out of time to really systematically search once I had the power inserter hooked up and changed the elevation and tilt. I'm just wondering if I need a meter. Going back next weekend for another try.

Last edited:
I think you need to get the mast plumb before mounting the dish, then don't touch it again. The arms are to stabilize the mast and are recommended for any installations.

The mast and dish are steel, which will affect the compass reading.

You probably set the tilt for the older 3 LNB dish, which was centered on 110 instead of 101. With the Slimline 3 you set it once and forget it.

No, I have a slimline at my house where this reciever was. When the reciever goes from a Slimline to a SWM Slimline the tilt and elevation changes.

The mast is practically plumb. As I said, I don't know what else to adjust to make it better. The mast mount is level. I moved the mast up until it was level but side to side it is slightly off. The bubble is inside the circle but not perfectly at the top.

Loosen the 2 bolts at the base of the mast it can be rotated for side to side adjustment. Of course you need to start in the center so you have some adjustment. It sounds like you don't have the knowledge to do the install. Go back to step one and start by watching the videos that are available. Or pay for a professional install you may be in over your head.

Anyone have an opinion on this?

Spectrum Spot | Single Wire Multiswitch SWM or SWiM System | Rental kits for DIY alignment

I got everything mounted but could not find the satellites.

I'm at my cabin, I bought a SL3 SWM. I get the cable run, mount the dish.

First questions: it came with a bubble level. Do you leave it in the post and put the dish mount over it? Though I don't know if I could see the level once the mount is on, though there is a viewing hole. The bubble was inside the circle, but not perfect. I didn't know what to do to make it perfect.

If I am mounting on a vertical wall, do I need those 'arms'? Know what I am talking about? They are rods that have mounting brackets on one end and attach to the dish pole on the other end?

First problem: there was something magnetic on the elevation mount. I'd get the compass within a few inches and the needle would swing right around. I lined up as best I could trying to eyeball, holding the compass away from the mount. There was something I did later that mostly confirmed I was pointed in the right direction.

Second problem: I didn't have the power inserter hooked up. 'Someone' didn't find it in the box until later. When I did hook it up the receiver went right to 17 (or 18), knowing it was a SWM. But it did not give an option of selecting a multiswitch. Now, I don't need a multiswitch, do I have to have it inline? But the problem was it now wanted a lower elevation and tilt. The tilt is not easy to change on this dish! I needed an offset box wrench to be able to loosen the tilt bolts, which I didn't have. So back down everything comes to change the tilt. Is the tilt a set and forget setting?

Actually that is all for now. I did everything I could think of and didn't get a signal. I ran out of time to really systematically search once I had the power inserter hooked up and changed the elevation and tilt. I'm just wondering if I need a meter. Going back next weekend for another try.

the pole needs to be as level as possible ... the way you say you have it should be good enough ... the arms should be installed if possible esp on a looser dish mount...usually the hd recvr with the correct zip entered will give you the correct az el & tilt for the slimline... the tilt nuts should be on the outside where you can get them ... usually you can set the tilt & leave it .....you might have them backwards behind the dish plate...

the recvr should select the dish correct lnb & recvr...you really shouldnt need to change it unless you need to switch from dual tuner or single ...

stand away from the dish & any other metal ...like a/c or metal building ... stand in front of the dish with the compass... also stand in different areas & see that the compass point in the same direction ... standing in front of the dish you want to point it in that direction ... use the meter on the recvr to see the signal ...there will be a 1 to 2 second processing delay for the signal ...

set all your settings & look for signal ... it needs to be in dead center of the 101 sat ... adjust carefully to center

For boba: I didn't rent that meter; I was wondering if anyone had an opinion about it. This is the fourth dish I have installed, an 18" round and two slimlines. Never had a SWM so didn't expect the power inserter. I lost a lot of time scratching my head and wondering why it wasn't working. I'd pay for a professional install but none of those sissy vans will make it to my cabin. You need a truck with 4x4 and high center clearance.

The bolt heads for the tilt are hidden on this dish. A socket wrench cannot get to them, an open wrench might but easier to take the whole thing down.

Just one question: Do I have to have multiswitch hooked up if I don't need it? Can I just go from dish to inserter to receiver?

Thanks for the help.

You don't a multiswitch with SWM systems. If your power inserter has two ports, one goes to the dish and the other to the receiver (don't mix them up or you can damage the receiver). Some of the newer PIs only have one port and you need to use a power passing splitter with the PI on the power passing (red) output.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)