signal problem?

niceguypmp3

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
May 4, 2013
south central iowa
I've noticed recently with my HWS that on live and recorded tv, then occasionally the hd picture will pixelate for a sec like it is starting to lose signal. Yesterday while watching an HD movie on HBO, twice during the movie then it did the " lost signal, switching to SD equivelant" , but then I immediately hit channel up and it went back to the HD one and worked fine. I checked my dish and I don't see anything obstructing it, well, maybe a weed that is on the outer edge of it, but I've seen lots more weeds than that before and it didn't affect it at all. Last winter, Dish moved my dish to right beside the house with the post concreted in the ground. Is it possible that it has started to change it's alignment? I just now checked my signal numbers... on 110 spotbeam 1 signal is 64, 119 spotbeam 1 signal is 45, and on 129 spotbeam 1 signal is 48. How do these numbers sound, thanks!

Alright, I found the signal chart and checked the correct spotbeams for all 3 satellites. I am above the minimum for all of them and am above the "average" for the majority of them. What could be the issue then? I already have seen it do it a couple times in the past hour or so watching the news this morning, where it just got pixelated for a second and then was fine.

I've noticed recently with my HWS that on live and recorded tv, then occasionally the hd picture will pixelate for a sec like it is starting to lose signal. Yesterday while watching an HD movie on HBO, twice during the movie then it did the " lost signal, switching to SD equivelant" , but then I immediately hit channel up and it went back to the HD one and worked fine. I checked my dish and I don't see anything obstructing it, well, maybe a weed that is on the outer edge of it, but I've seen lots more weeds than that before and it didn't affect it at all. Last winter, Dish moved my dish to right beside the house with the post concreted in the ground. Is it possible that it has started to change it's alignment? I just now checked my signal numbers... on 110 spotbeam 1 signal is 64, 119 spotbeam 1 signal is 45, and on 129 spotbeam 1 signal is 48. How do these numbers sound, thanks!
Those numbers are really not bad....remember, they are are not based on a high 100. I have had the problem with HBO you mentioned once in a while. Could be the LNB or node, or cables and connector. If it becomes too persistent, I would call for a tech visit.

Possibly something walking or going in front of the Dish that you may not just see. I had an issue awhile back with an owl that took to my Dish at night thinking it was a fine place to sit. A water Hose and some screaming later, problem has been gone.

Keep an eye on this if it is just one channel or happens on others. If only channel one then it may not be what I had as the cause. Recently I had a similar issue where I would get the signal loss then it would return. Sometimes it would be out for hours and no channel would come in (signal loss message). Other Hopper worked flawlessly. Though maybe the Hopper was going so had a tech come. Checked the signal right at the dish (good) and then after the node (bad). Turns out it was the duo-node. Replaced it and working perfectly ever since. I recently saw a post on Dish's forum where a user had a similar issue as mine. Node was the culprit there, too.

Good luck.

(P.S. I mounted my original dish years ago on a 4x4 cemented in the ground, held up well. But you do have to occasionally check to be sure nothing loosened up or if anyone in the family may have bumped into it or messed with it (curious kids!). One of the things to watch for on ground mounted dishes.)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)