signal question

Status
Please reply by conversation.

jackal2403

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Sep 12, 2004
when i come home from work around 5:00 am est i'm able to pick up telestar 11 with a pretty low quality between 10 to 30.sbs-6 around that time for me is around 40 to 50 in quality.now, when i wake up around 5:00 pm i can't pick up telestar 11 and sbs-6 quality level shoots up to 70 to 80.I really cant explain this. i am pretty new and i'm still learning.my set-up is sg-2100 with a 36 inch dish.i have the dish mounted on a ten foot high fence pole attached to a tripod thats anchored to the ground and holds it in pretty good.thanxs for the help. :)

All I can think of is maybe something in your mounting setup is expanding in direct sunlight all day, enough to cause the dish to turn very slightly toward the west. Not sure how to test for this though, maybe temporarily put a white sheet around your mounting pole, tripod, etc. Leave some space between the sheet and the stuff it's around.

Since you have a motor have you tried going into antenna tuning and turning the dish to peak it when the signal is low. Also peak the dish on the lowest transponder that may solve your problem.

i recently straped on another lnb on the west side of my universal lnb.can this be the problem?

I stayed up till the sun started to rise and the signal started to drop on telestar 11 and sbs-6 signal is starting to rise more.is there a way to fix this.do i have to fine tune the dish

Some satellites 'wobble' more than others so you will not get a consistent signal quality. (Actually the earth wobbles making it seem like the satellite is doing the wobbling in a figure 8 pattern)

As an example, PANAMSAT has a website that calculates the best time to point your dish at their sats.

See here: http://www.panamsat.com/global_network/center_of_box.asp

If you click on the G10R SAT you can see the best time to point at it was on October 6th at 2:11AM and 2:11PM UTC time.

Here is the link for SBS-6
http://www.panamsat.com/global_network/cobview.asp?id=SBS-6

I couldn't find a link for T11. Not every satellite has a wobble problem.

But to answer your Q, you can aim your dish to the 'center' of the wobble and will have less signal shift, but on some satellites, you cannot do anything to stop the signal quality change.

Thanks, Mark for reminding us (me, at least) about wobble. I forgot about that phenomenon, but it just might be the root cause here.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)