signal question

Status
Please reply by conversation.

andy_horton

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Dec 28, 2010
Northwest Georgia
If my signal levels are 35-40% now that the leaves are gone, will I lose TV signal next year when the leaves come back? Threshold on my TV is 10%.

That has a lot to do with whether the leaves are in between your antenna and the TV station(s) you want to receive. Also, in general, a bigger antenna might help, if you're unable to trim the leaves back.

That has a lot to do with whether the leaves are in between your antenna and the TV station(s) you want to receive. Also, in general, a bigger antenna might help, if you're unable to trim the leaves back.
One antenna is indoor and the other is a clearstream in the windowsill outdoors with a pre amp and amp
EDIT I am 25-35 miles from towers

Too many amps spoil the signal (distortion). What spoils the signal even more is having multiple antennae that aren't properly combined (multi-path).

You need to face the distinct possibility that OTA is not in your future at your current location. Starting a new thread will not alter the laws of physics.

One antenna is indoor and the other is a clearstream in the windowsill outdoors with a pre amp and amp
EDIT I am 25-35 miles from towers
Repeatedly asking basically the same question doesn't change the answers, maybe you need a new address and more care in selecting that new location so you can receive OTA.

Look, I asked a question for answers. How rude of some people on this forum to address me in this manner. I can assure you in the future I will get permission from you "experts" to post a question. I do NOT appreciate the attitude I have been given. What I ought to do is leave this site entirely and tell others about how rude members are here and steer them somewhere else thus this site losing the potential people looking to sign up and see the ads which means less revenue. Some of you can be so cruel. I apologize for such a "dumb" question. If you people don't have anything nice to say, keep your damn opinions to yourself!!!

Repeatedly asking basically the same question doesn't change the answers, maybe you need a new address and more care in selecting that new location so you can receive OTA.
Ha , Yeah because people base where they are going to live on tv service.

Not the taxes , Schools, Crime ,property value, House and Lot size, Weather, Relatives , Job,

BUT TV options!
Great suggestions!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

You might, or might not. It depends on like Jegrant said, how much foliage is in your signal path. Come summer time, I lose a lot of the Massachusetts OTA stations here from the leaves on the trees and 127W on my C band dish because of the leaves coming out on one tree at the edge of my property that the town won't let me cut down, too close to the highway. :(

The only way to tell really is to wait for when the leaves come out and see, or if someone happens to have a OTA setup in your area that knows what goes away when the leaves come out, but in that case their setup may differ from yours because of different amps, antennas, etc, etc.

Ignore the grumps, Andy! :)

Look, I asked a question for answers. How rude of some people on this forum to address me in this manner. I can assure you in the future I will get permission from you "experts" to post a question. I do NOT appreciate the attitude I have been given. What I ought to do is leave this site entirely and tell others about how rude members are here and steer them somewhere else thus this site losing the potential people looking to sign up and see the ads which means less revenue. Some of you can be so cruel. I apologize for such a "dumb" question. If you people don't have anything nice to say, keep your damn opinions to yourself!!!
Andy in all seriousness dont let 2 jackwagons get to ya. Most of us in the OTA area are helpful....

Now to try and answer the question...well there isn't a definite answer because you don't know how much foliage you will be working with. Maybe the trees grew and now your line of site may be better. Or it could be worse. But opening multiple threads on trying to get better reception isn't the answer. We can try to help but your situation is a little different than others here
-you have 1edge and 2edge reception (as in it bounces off 2 things to get to you)
-the terrain there isn't the best
-some of the stations, even thought they are considered "full power", really aren't (61 comes to mind)
-you are hindered by the fact you can't put an antenna up as high as you want
-you're hindered even more that you are mainly limited to an indoor antenna

On the positive your Big 4 networks are all on VHF which as I've mentioned before does "bend" better over mountains. We have given you options in previous threads. I've always mentioned using an outdoor antenna indoors. I did that when I lived in my apartment. I put 2 antennas (an 8 bay and a small VHF) in the closet and it worked great. I guess the main question is how much money do you feel like sticking into this project and how much money will you need before you are satisfied with the results?

Ha , Yeah because people base where they are going to live on tv service.

Not the taxes , Schools, Crime ,property value, House and Lot size, Weather, Relatives , Job,

BUT TV options!
Great suggestions!

Hey now. When I looked at places a few years ago one of my requirements was it needed a great southern view so I could put my free to air dishes up :)

Reactions: fhsucade07
The only way to tell really is to wait for when the leaves come out and see, or if someone happens to have a OTA setup in your area that knows what goes away when the leaves come out, but in that case their setup may differ from yours because of different amps, antennas, etc, etc.
The one issue is even in the same neighborhood the neighbor may have LOS while he has 2edge. Great example is where I use to live. I had LOS for all the Minneapolis stations. My sister lives 4 blocks north of me and her tvfool is mainly 1 and 2 edge. Dont know why as we are both in same town.

But it happens (and Andy's area is mountainous per his previous tvfool report)

Reactions: . Raine
You might, or might not. It depends on like Jegrant said, how much foliage is in your signal path. Come summer time, I lose a lot of the Massachusetts OTA stations here from the leaves on the trees and 127W on my C band dish because of the leaves coming out on one tree at the edge of my property that the town won't let me cut down, too close to the highway. :(

Ignore the grumps, Andy! :)
Thank you for being nice to me and answering my question. Yes, gotta ignore the grumps!! Thanks again. Probably will have to go with Comcast, though, unfortunately

Reactions: . Raine
When I moved from Nashville to South Dayton four years ago,I specifically asked for an Apartment with a Southern view for my Dish Network dish lol :)
I agree. Its funny because I've been looking for a new place to live and I will run a tvfool to see what it shows. Now I'm not making a decision on the tvfool report...but I have my priorities ;)

Reactions: jegrant
Hey now. When I looked at places a few years ago one of my requirements was it needed a great southern view so I could put my free to air dishes up :)
I assure you that is not the norm when home buying or renting.

Really? Certainly the norm for my home shopping. Just like any other hobby, why buy something that doesn't support your lifestyle or interests?
I'm not even going to argue about something that sounds so ridiculous.
OTA,reception or a Veiw of the souther sky for satellite Tv has Never been one of the home buying" Must Haves"
I view of the South western sky for Afternoon noon Heating in the north is not an uncommon request.

If your Hobby is putting up an OTA antenna and watching tv, Congratulations!
How exactly does that work as a hobby?

I could see Icebergs as a Hobby since it basically requires a Satellite Field, and a constant chore to find FTA programming and channels.

But to tell someone he should have moved to a better location to Improve his OTA reception is unconstructive to say the least.

Reactions: andy_horton
I'm not even going to argue about something that sounds so ridiculous.
but yet you are.
OTA,reception or a Veiw of the souther sky for satellite Tv has Never been one of the home buying" Must Haves"
its no different than any other "oddball request" that people have out there.
With a friend as a real estate agent I've heard some real oddball requests that a house HAS to have.

If your Hobby is putting up an OTA antenna and watching tv, Congratulations!
How exactly does that work as a hobby?
DXing is a hobby. If you are in an area with access to more than one cities stations there are folks who try and tweak it for the best possible reception.

I could see Icebergs as a Hobby since it basically requires a Satellite Field, and a constant chore to find FTA programming and channels.
Everyone has different hobbies :)

I dont get why you're so wound up about something that really doesnt pertain to you.
If someone wants a place with a good southern view that's their issue
If someone wants a place that doesn't have a giant building blocking their OTA reception, that's their issue.
If someone wants a place that they can put a bunch of chickens in their back yard, that's their issue
If someone wants a place that _________________________ (whatever they want), that's their issue

Reactions: FaT Air
but yet you are.

its no different than any other "oddball request" that people have out there.
With a friend as a real estate agent I've heard some real oddball requests that a house HAS to have.

DXing is a hobby. If you are in an area with access to more than one cities stations there are folks who try and tweak it for the best possible reception.

Everyone has different hobbies :)

I dont get why you're so wound up about something that really doesnt pertain to you.
If someone wants a place with a good southern view that's their issue
If someone wants a place that doesn't have a giant building blocking their OTA reception, that's their issue.
If someone wants a place that they can put a bunch of chickens in their back yard, that's their issue
If someone wants a place that _________________________ (whatever they want), that's their issue
I'm not wound up at all.
But telling someone to move, isn't constructive at all.

As much as the 4 members here think that's normal, It's NOT.
Enjoy.

Reactions: andy_horton
It's OK y'all. Had Comcast installed today on same day installation. No more threads on signal issues. Loving the X1 with the price I got. Plus don't have to worry about leaves or winds or mountains or 2edge 1edge or anything like that. Will keep my antennas up just to tinker as it's my hobby. And as far as a living situation is concerned, I didn't have much of a choice. I'm on a fixed income and live in subsidized housing. It's the best I can do right now. So I took what was available. I don't have the luxury of choosing certain things like some of you do. That's why I'm insulted. But like I said, I've got Comcast now that I can afford. Not a lot, but better than nothing. Nuff said

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)