signal strengh 50, is it normal?

testarc

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Jan 9, 2007
It took installer more than 2 hours to adjust the satellite, and I just found out the signal strength is at 50. Is it within normal range? I was experiencing really bad pixelation on filmfest yesterday and wondering if the signal strength has anything to do with it?

Mine runs 68 on 61.5, 62 on 110, and 70 on 118. Different transponders will bring in different signal strengths, but 50 may be acceptable to Dish, but not to me. Where are you located.

around 8 months ago dish changed the signal meter with a software update
thay changed it by like 40 points so if it says 50 its 90 that was with duel tunner
receviers now single tunner receviers also have same software went on a service
call spent 3 hrs and could not get signal above 65 when I installed it was over 100
called dish a thay told me of the 40 point change so 65 was 105

To me 50 is way too low - a bit of rain and wind could cause picture loss.

Peter,

Dish has changed their signal meter in the software of almost all their receivers, before the change 50 was REALLY Bad as once the signal dropped to below 40-45 you would lose your signal lock. Most subscribers would report their signal levels at 85-95 before this change so you have about 40 points on the scale between where your signal is and what the threshold at when you lose your signal lock

Since the Change you will lose the signal lock at about 10. So having a signal of 50 using this new meter gives you again 40 points on the signal scale until you lose your signal lock.

Using the new scale and having a signal of 50, and experiencing a light rain should have NO effect on your signal lock. At 50 on the new scale you would have to have a significant Rain or storm event to lose your signal lock

John

I do not understand exactly why Dish Network done this unless they thought it was stupid to start a signal lock at 35-40% and the percentage below that was worth it since an indication below 35-40% was impossible. Now it is the other way around, by dropping it 40% it is possible to see a signal strength even below 10% but what about the scale being at 125% now? It looks like they went from not showing the first 40% to not showing the last 40% on the scale.

I do not understand exactly why Dish Network done this unless they thought it was stupid to start a signal lock at 35-40% and the percentage below that was worth it since an indication below 35-40% was impossible. Now it is the other way around, by dropping it 40% it is possible to see a signal strength even below 10% but what about the scale being at 125% now? It looks like they went from not showing the first 40% to not showing the last 40% on the scale.

Does anyone know the exact reason Dish changed to the different signal strength readings?

My 811 is stillon the old scale and my 722 is on the new scale. The 811 runs between 81 and 107 on the three sats that I get. The 722 runs between 61 and 72. I don't see the 40% difference that you are talking about. I get 20% on the low end and 35 on the high end.

My 811 is stillon the old scale and my 722 is on the new scale. The 811 runs between 81 and 107 on the three sats that I get. The 722 runs between 61 and 72. I don't see the 40% difference that you are talking about. I get 20% on the low end and 35 on the high end.

Compared to a DUAL-tuner there will be upwards to a 40% difference. You're comparing a single tuner, old scale at that, to a dual-tuner.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)