Signal Strengh, S/N & Picture quality

gutter

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Supporting Founder
May 26, 2004
With all the problems everyone is having with the PG, I noticed (when I had a channel) that the PQ looked better today than it has in some time. My normal signal strength is usually about 84. Today it is in the 92 to 64 area and the S/N is 74/13.64 (or there abouts). I always thought that with digital you have a picture or you don't and the signal strength really didn't matter as long as you had a picture above the threshold. Does more signal strength actually produce a better picture and better S/N? and does a lower signal strength in the 80's allow the STB to introduce more noise in lower PQ?

Just asking those in the know. Now by box won't boot at all after the last freeze up. tried 3 times. I will call for a hit, but what I am hearing it seems almost nationwide. this is my second box. By the way I live up on Lake Erie about 100 miles south of Buffalo.

gutter said:
Does more signal strength actually produce a better picture and better S/N? and does a lower signal strength in the 80's allow the STB to introduce more noise in lower PQ?

Just asking those in the know. Now by box won't boot at all after the last freeze up. tried 3 times. I will call for a hit, but what I am hearing it seems almost nationwide. this is my second box. By the way I live up on Lake Erie about 100 miles south of Buffalo.

No once you get above a set level more signal only helps prevent rain fade it will not give you a better picture. On my installs 92 to 95 is the normal signal I have been able to get. We check this in the signal menu not in status. I have never installed one with only a 80 signal on the new software.

If your receiver will not boot up after you unplug it, It needs replacing. I would urge everyone to avoid requesting replacements unless you have to.

However as you may know all replacement receivers are shipped with the old software. They have to upgrade to current software. On the old software your signal will only be 45 to 50 for normal operation.

satmaster said:
unless you have to.

However as you may know all replacement receivers are shipped with the old software. They have to upgrade to current software. On the old software your signal will only be 45 to 50 for normal operation.

thank you for the reply. My normal signal strength is usually in the mid to upper 80's. today seemed unusual for PQ and signal strength. I had to do a hard boot (unplug) and CSR hit me. It worked. CSR also said that work was being done on testing and some improvements in PQ, but, as we have seen before, who can really believe everything a CSR says. We just hope they are right.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)