Signal strength on 211 vs 311?

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
May 23, 2007
I have a Vip211 and a 311 for our other room. I was setting up our two dishes (to get 129 here in the NW) and did a side by side comparison. The signal strength comes in about 7 - 10 points lower on the 211 than it does on the 311, with all satellites and all transponders. They run off of a DPP twin and both of their cables are about the same length and are a continuous run with no splices. I swapped receiver locations and the lower signal strength followed the 211 receiver, so it is not the cable between the LNB and the receiver.

I have been in contact with E* techs via e-mail. They asked for readings on 110 and 119 on transponders 15 and 16 for each receiver. I sent them the findings and they suggested I call (ugh) tech support as they have not seen different signal strengths from two receivers that are fed from the same LNB.

Has anyone else noticed this problem? The 211 is our main (and HD) receiver and I want to make sure it is not faulty as I want to get as much information as i can before I make the call.

This is normal. The 311 receivers always read higher than any other receiver, 10-15 pts higher. I have both receivers and that's always been the case, nothing to worry about.

With a new software upgrade all receivers will display signal strength at the same level.

This is normal. The 311 receivers always read higher than any other receiver, 10-15 pts higher. I have both receivers and that's always been the case, nothing to worry about.

With a new software upgrade all receivers will display signal strength at the same level.

Thanks for the opinion. I would have figured that receivers would have the same basic components and not rely on software updates.

I will still give the E* a call and see what they have to say because I am still curious why the tech said he hadn't seen it before. At least I won't be as surprized if they confirm your observation.

Ps. I like your Avtar...

Thanks for the opinion. I would have figured that receivers would have the same basic components and not rely on software updates.

I will still give the E* a call and see what they have to say because I am still curious why the tech said he hadn't seen it before. At least I won't be as surprized if they confirm your observation.

Ps. I like your Avtar...

That's just a tech on the phone. I'm sure this wasn't the first thing he wasn't in the know about. The software engineers are well aware of the different readings among some receivers.

And is the reason the new "signal" calibration is being done, to make everything read more accurately. Some 322 receivers software has already been updated, others soon along with other models. You will notice the new calibration on "Point Dish" with a flashing yellow message. You will also notice now that a good reading will now be around 20, anything under 17 will indicate a loss of video.

That's just a tech on the phone. I'm sure this wasn't the first thing he wasn't in the know about. The software engineers are well aware of the different readings among some receivers.

The tech I had contact with was via e-mail. It seems I get more qualified help when dealing through electronic/hard copy correspondences. That is why I mentioned the 'ugh' when my next action was to call.

And is the reason the new "signal" calibration is being done, to make everything read more accurately. Some 322 receivers software has already been updated, others soon along with other models. You will notice the new calibration on "Point Dish" with a flashing yellow message. You will also notice now that a good reading will now be around 20, anything under 17 will indicate a loss of video.

Yes, I have noticed other posts mention the yellow message on the new Point Dish screen.

It does seem clear now that it is a software issue so I will just wait. My readings are pretty solid on the 211 anyway.

But I still might give the tech department a call. I am curious to see just what they know...

Don't bother TECH, the answer is already here.

ALL other receivers ALLWAYS register lower signal strenths than a 311.

All other internal meters are simply stingy!!!!!!!!!

My 311 119 tr 11 = 125
my 811 " " = 109

fred

I already gave you the answer, no need to call a tech. :) It's a fact not my opinion that the 311s give you higher readings. That doesn't mean that it's getting more signal than the other receivers, it's just the way the software displays the SS. This will be fixed soon.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)