Signal Strength Question and Installation

AlexTheOne

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Nov 1, 2006
Originally I personally installed my first Dish 500 6+ years ago, few weeks ago I got it replaced with new 622/1000 combo installed by prof. installer. He claimed that signal I was getting is good enough but I am not sure. My original dish was placed very, very low to the ground between two houses (local home owners assoc. rules were different back then) and I was OK with my old dish.
Now the installer just reused same place (adding extended mount) and I am worried if that was not the best way to do it. I wanted to possibly move it litter higher but he claimed that signal on that side of the house would not be changed and this way he avoided to drill more holes in my walls...while I appreciate that I want to be sure that I am OK while I have install. warranty (90 days).

What transponder is best to check the signal on 110/119/129? As I change transponders the signal varies a lot so just wondering what is the best practice?

Also, I live in TN (Nashville area) so let me know what you are getting if you live close.
Thanks.

Originally I personally installed my first Dish 500 6+ years ago, few weeks ago I got it replaced with new 622/1000 combo installed by prof. installer. He claimed that signal I was getting is good enough but I am not sure. My original dish was placed very, very low to the ground between two houses (local home owners assoc. rules were different back then) and I was OK with my old dish.
Now the installer just reused same place (adding extended mount) and I am worried if that was not the best way to do it. I wanted to possibly move it litter higher but he claimed that signal on that side of the house would not be changed and this way he avoided to drill more holes in my walls...while I appreciate that I want to be sure that I am OK while I have install. warranty (90 days).

What transponder is best to check the signal on 110/119/129? As I change transponders the signal varies a lot so just wondering what is the best practice?

Also, I live in TN (Nashville area) so let me know what you are getting if you live close.
Thanks.

If you have the time, wait for a good weather day and write down the numbers for all three satellites and all transponders you receive from them.
If you can post this, more could be analyzed .

Thanks, I may do that. It is raining for the past few days so will wait until weather gets better.

Thanks Clancy.

Finally after a few days of rain, better day came along. Tonight I checked my 622/1000 settings and recorded results I pasted in attached image (only way I was able to keep formating).

Let me know if this looks OK, normal (or not)...or if you guys need any other info.

Attachments

• DishInfo.jpg
    DishInfo.jpg
    47.7 KB · Views: 207
Thanks Clancy.

Finally after a few days of rain, better day came along. Tonight I checked my 622/1000 settings and recorded results I pasted in attached image (only way I was able to keep formating).

Let me know if this looks OK, normal (or not)...or if you guys need any other info.
leave it alone.....it's fine..you should thank your tech for being concerend with your home....

Thanks for your reply. I really did not belive that he did that out of the concern, it is more out of convenience and to save the time. He came as the backup given that original tech called in sick and had the note only to swap the receivers just to find that he actually needed to installed whole new system so he was not so happy.
Here, I was not complaining just wanted to double check my setup and signal I am getting. I think my dish is lowest installed one I ever saw (just couple feet of the ground).

Thanks for your reply. I really did not belive that he did that out of the concern, it is more out of convenience and to save the time. He came as the backup given that original tech called in sick and had the note only to swap the receivers just to find that he actually needed to installed whole new system so he was not so happy.
Here, I was not complaining just wanted to double check my setup and signal I am getting. I think my dish is lowest installed one I ever saw (just couple feet of the ground).
Well now you know how far I go when I prepare for installs..
BTW do not connect laziness with trying ot find the best, easiest and most efficient way of putting in a system.....Especially from a contractor...We pay for our materials so as business people it is in our best interest to give the the best service at the lowest exepnse to the cust and ourselves.....I'm not going to do the job that hard way just to make it look like i worked hard..hard work is for idiots..Smart work is for the successful. There is no nobilty in misery.
Sometimes the easiest way is not in the best interst of the customer or their home..at that point I make a decision to go out of my way to give quality service...
even though the tech was pissed he still gave you good service...
Sme techs are over worked..this depends on who they work for..some contractors take on far more work than can be done in a day...These compnaies go thru techs like socks..The techs get buried with work, show up at custs homes with a bad attitude, rush through the job do sloppy or incomlete work and leave the cust in the dark as to how to use the equipment....

Thanks for your insight, dishcomm.
As I said no complains here, was just looking for others to let me know if what I am getting signal wise is actually OK or not.

When at all possible I'll mount that dish right on the foundation of the house, right on the ground. Easy to service, and easy for the customer to wipe the snow off as well. Well those that do get snow. :)

No leaky leaky roofs here. (directv, cough)

When at all possible I'll mount that dish right on the foundation of the house, right on the ground. Easy to service, and easy for the customer to wipe the snow off as well. Well those that do get snow. :)

No leaky leaky roofs here. (directv, cough)
on most homes a low mount is impossible. Lots of slab built homes here. The vinyl siding comes to within a few inches of the ground and since a mount to vinyl siding(which most houses here are sided with) is about the stupidest thing a tech can do, those foundation mounts are rare...Custs with kids or pets do not want the dish to be accessable....they prefer roof mounts here...In 9 years, I have never had one leak...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)