Signal Strength Question

miakayuuki

Original poster
Jul 31, 2007
Heyya All,

I have had a tech out here today to retune my dish for better signal, I am confused tho as the fact that various transponders have very good, 95 signal, others have very bad, 38 signal. This is a 622 reciever and the signal seems all over the place. I am in zip code 32904 and if someone whom knows better than the tech whom can speak about 10 words of english what signals I should be looking for and on what transponders I would really appreciate it. The reason we had him come out in the first place is that whenever we get even the slightest bit of rain, I mean very light sprinkle we lose signal. And in Florida, that is every day for several hours sometimes.

Thanks in advance for any help or tips that you can provide.

Mia

The short and skinny of it all is this:

not every transponder carries a channel you watch or have access to. It really depends on what part of the country you're in. Some transponders are spotbeams, relegated to ultra-specific duty for a certain region (local channels come to mind). The fact you may not have a signal...or otherwise a weak signal...on some of those transponders is an example of that at work.

Typically, I test transponder 11 for both the 119 and 110. Others will chime in for the 129 or 61.5

I hope that helps.

For satellites 119 and 110 use TP11, those are conus transponders. The other ones where you see low signals are most likely Spotbeams and those are intended to cover only certain areas. For example, your locals might be on TP1 and you will get a very strong signal. Someone in Lousiana will get very low signal or no signal on TP1.

I am confused tho as the fact that various transponders have very good, 95 signal, others have very bad, 38 signal.
First, I'm impressed that you're getting a 95 with the new software and the change to the meter. You sure about that ??

Second, what TP is getting the 38 ?? You, or we, can look it up to see what's on it. Where in Florida are you (just the city is fine) ??

First, I'm impressed that you're getting a 95 with the new software and the change to the meter. You sure about that ??

Second, what TP is getting the 38 ?? You, or we, can look it up to see what's on it. Where in Florida are you (just the city is fine) ??

Wow! Good catch. The 95 zipped right passed my eyes. I agree...it may not reflect the new software.

What you describe may be what I describe as "bouncing" signal.

When viewing a signal meter, the signal should only vary a point or two. If the signal is "bouncing" 4 or more signal points, as you watch it, check your ground block and all connections for a "braid strand" that is near or touching the inner copper cable of your coax. (This is assuming that no tree branches are waving in the line-of-sight of the dish.)

The question is:
When you describe the signal being "all over the place", is that by comparing transponders, or does the signal vary while locked?
Hope this helps.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts