Signal strength question

LarryHes

Original poster
Jul 21, 2007
Why does signal strength vary between TRs on the same satellite? I receive a 75 to 95 signal strenth on TR (spotbeam) 4, sat 110, and this is for local channels. All other TRs, on both sat 110 and 119, signal strength varies from a low of around 35 to highs in the mid 50s. I have a superdish installed, have switch dp34, and use receiver 301. Needless to say, I lose my signal frequently, even with little or no "weather activity", on every channel except locals.

There is another posting from yesterday on this same subject but the responses to that posting are not helpful. I believe its the equipment, particulary using a multi-satellite dish, which is now about 3 years old. The problem started around May of this year. I've had several sessions with Dish CS but no relief of the problem.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Have my signals been waving in the wind? Probably yes but with the signal strength so low, it seems I lose the picture with little or no wind also.

What causes the variation in the signal strength? The sats are so small that the distance between TRs is probably less than six inches, miniscule in relation to the distance from earth.

Why does signal strength vary between TRs on the same satellite? I receive a 75 to 95 signal strenth on TR (spotbeam) 4, sat 110, and this is for local channels. All other TRs, on both sat 110 and 119, signal strength varies from a low of around 35 to highs in the mid 50s. I have a superdish installed, have switch dp34, and use receiver 301. Needless to say, I lose my signal frequently, even with little or no "weather activity", on every channel except locals.

There is another posting from yesterday on this same subject but the responses to that posting are not helpful. I believe its the equipment, particulary using a multi-satellite dish, which is now about 3 years old. The problem started around May of this year. I've had several sessions with Dish CS but no relief of the problem.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.
What model recievers do you have?..Have you considered realigning(re peaking) the dish or having some one do that for you?..The dish antenna can go out of alignment. Stand behind the dish and look beyond the front to check if trees have grown into the line of sight. It may be possible any trees may have grown sufficient to cut down on signal. Get back to us on this..We may be able to help.

If you're checking line of sight, keep in mind that with a superdish, the dish is bore-sighted for the FSS satellite, either 121 or 105. If it's 105, then your other 2 satellites come in to the dish from about a 30 degree right angle. If it's 121, then your 119 is pretty close to the bore-site, and the 110 comes in from about a 15 degree angle to the left. The actual aproblem could be anything from line of sight to LNB drift to a bad 301. A large signal fluctuation like you're describing though does sound like line of sight.

Dont forget, some of the receivers got a software update which shows the signal strength lower on some models than others

I am finding that this time of year is when I am seeing the most complaints about signal issues due to tree growth.

Have my signals been waving in the wind? Probably yes but with the signal strength so low, it seems I lose the picture with little or no wind also.

What causes the variation in the signal strength? The sats are so small that the distance between TRs is probably less than six inches, miniscule in relation to the distance from earth.

The variation of signal strengths has nothing to do with the physical location of the transponders in the satellite, but from operating parameters in reference to RF signal amplification and conversion for repeating the signal to the down-link.

For more about transponders:

Transponders - What are they?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts