Signal Strength Question

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

UPEngineer

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
May 20, 2004
Chickasha, OK
I have a question about the signal strength meter found in the system status screen.

My satellite signal meter is anywhere from 92-94 consistently.

My OTA signal is anywhere from 9-55.

What does the signal power/SNR numbers mean? Is a low SNR or high SNR better?

Can you check this per channel or is it a generic reading?

I ask because I can get 3 of my 7 OTA stations, and I would like to see if a bigger OTA antenna would pull in the others, if the signal on those 4 are a lot weaker. Does that make sense?

yes call voom and tell them to upgrade your antenna
what antenna do you have now its probably the stealth antenna.
that's what i got when i was first installed. then i call voom back and they gave me a free upgrade antenna, it's the channel master 4228 a UHF antenna at first i only get channel 2.1 the installer seem to not know a whole lot so when he left. i adjusted it my self by moving it litlte by little around and now i get channels 2.1,4.1,5.1,5.2,7.1,7.2 but i cant get channel 11.1 and 13.1. my friend said that channel 11 is probably a vhf signal.
good luck
joe

I got the Winegard GS-1000 antenna. My installer told me that was the upgrade antenna...I looked on Winegard website and it showed 25 mile range and I am 40-45 miles from towers.

I'll call VOOM and see what they have to say. Installer told me to call and ask for an amplifier cause he didn't have one.

Brutal truth...

That's a pretty good upgrade antenna.

The fact is that you are long damn way from the towers. I'm sorry. I know that's not the answer you want to hear.

Check with your local cable company, and ask if there are any unadvertised specials on local channels. In St. Louis, Charter cable offers all the locals, public service, and home shopping channels for $4.95 per month, but you have to specifically ASK for that package. They won't mention it to you unless you ask.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)