Signal Strength related to upload

pipewelder_1999

Original poster
Apr 30, 2008
Hello to everyone. I am a purchaser of Hughesnet Service. I am going to try avoid a detailed rant about my service and contact with customer support but I am at the end of my rope.

My download speed has always been 800K or better. I purchased the 1.5M plan. My Signal strength varies between 64 and 67.

My upload speed starts out in the morning up to 150K. After a few speed tests, it drops to 20,30,40,50 K . I have been blessed with obtaining a job that allows me to work from home after years of being a construction welder or inspector. This is customer support for a software company. I am required to send people repaired files and also provide online support through various citrix services.

The upload speed is the problem. I cannot send files to customers or even make changes to any of my websites. When I provide an online demo, there is a considerable lag and sometimes lost connection.

Repeated calls to customer support at Hughes resulted in nothing more than "Please keep running the speed tests" and callbacks from tier 4 support that left a toll free number and pin that when used gave me VOICE MAIL.

I now have a very hard time not loosing my temper when I call. (My fault) . I was able to get in touch with someone in MD that seemed more interested in helping and they are going to send out a technician to look at my sattelite. I hope it turns out well.

What I am curious about is how signal strength relates to upload. I am told that the signal strength I have is good. Is that as true for transmitting as it is receiving. I imagine a tree would have more effect on a 1wat transmitter than it would a receiver. If that is possible then I have hope since my dish points right through two trees a relocation will solve my problems. In the afternoon, my upload speed is often 8,10, 11, 14 K .

Any advice, words of encouragement are appreciated. Sorry I don't have much to add unless there are welding related questions.

Thanks

Gerald
IUka Miss.

Hello to everyone. I am a purchaser of Hughesnet Service. I am going to try avoid a detailed rant about my service and contact with customer support but I am at the end of my rope.

My download speed has always been 800K or better. I purchased the 1.5M plan. My Signal strength varies between 64 and 67.

My upload speed starts out in the morning up to 150K. After a few speed tests, it drops to 20,30,40,50 K . I have been blessed with obtaining a job that allows me to work from home after years of being a construction welder or inspector. This is customer support for a software company. I am required to send people repaired files and also provide online support through various citrix services.

The upload speed is the problem. I cannot send files to customers or even make changes to any of my websites. When I provide an online demo, there is a considerable lag and sometimes lost connection.

Repeated calls to customer support at Hughes resulted in nothing more than "Please keep running the speed tests" and callbacks from tier 4 support that left a toll free number and pin that when used gave me VOICE MAIL.

I now have a very hard time not loosing my temper when I call. (My fault) . I was able to get in touch with someone in MD that seemed more interested in helping and they are going to send out a technician to look at my sattelite. I hope it turns out well.

What I am curious about is how signal strength relates to upload. I am told that the signal strength I have is good. Is that as true for transmitting as it is receiving. I imagine a tree would have more effect on a 1wat transmitter than it would a receiver. If that is possible then I have hope since my dish points right through two trees a relocation will solve my problems. In the afternoon, my upload speed is often 8,10, 11, 14 K .

Any advice, words of encouragement are appreciated. Sorry I don't have much to add unless there are welding related questions.

Thanks

Gerald
IUka Miss.

It depends on which satellite you are on. There are multiple reasons your upload speeds are dropping, "equipment, cable, and yes it could be a pointing problem." You mentioned a tree, is your dish pointing into a tree? Pics would be helpful "if your system will upload them. :D"

If you are in Iuka our company should get the service order. Has anyone contacted you? If you P.M. me your first and last name I can check.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)