Signal strength

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Ricki

Original poster
May 5, 2014
Canada
Will a 75cm dish give me more signal strength than a 60cm dish , I am well inside the foot print not on the peripheral.
Regards Ricki

Will a 75cm dish give me more signal strength than a 60cm dish
Signal Strength, as shown on the receivers meter, is a measure of the LNBF operation.
Dish size will have no effect.
Signal Quality, the measure of the signal from the satellite, will be enhanced with a bigger dish.
60cm is at the 'theoretical' limits of 'what will work'. Low gain and a great possibility of adjacent satellite interference. Some experimentation may be needed to see if it works for your purpose. Some have used 'small' dishes for particular sat/transponders but not for general usage.
I run a couple of .75 meter Channel Masters*. They are good dishes, but still suffer performance wise than larger. Adjacent interference and lower gain. Although with diligent aiming work fairly well.
*Commercial quality build. Probably perform better than a consumer 'build' dish of the same size. Even better performance could be had with a TX rated dish, IMHO.

Will a 75cm dish give me more signal strength than a 60cm dish

bigger is better!
But if you have an old 60cm dish laying around (say from a StarChoice/Shaw Direct setup) it will work on the stronger transponders

Welcome to SatGuys, Ricki!

If these are dishes you already have or can pick up for free, the bigger one will work better of the two. If you're looking to buy a dish, I'd spend a little more and go with a 90 cm, the performance will be much better and worth it.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)