Signal Strength

Bad rain fade?

Hey guys. I have a Dish 500 system with 61.5, 110, and 119 connected to a DPP34 switch. Now, my signal levels range from 86-103 on the three satellites. I always get a perfect picture normally; however, it seems that EVERY thunderstorm knocks my Dish service out for a good 5-10 minutes! Is this normal? I'm from the NYC area, and you may or may not have heard that we've had some big t-storms in the area for the past few days. One day I think I lost my signal three times during three different t-storms. Light rain and drizzle obviously do not cause problems, but it seems that if I even see one lightning flash, I WILL lose signal for around 10 minutes sometime in the very near future - it's a virtual guarantee. I thought the Dish service was only supposed to go out during the WORST of severe weather, not every time a 20 min. downpour decides to come through! Previously, I thought my signal levels were very good, but now I'm thinking I may want to realign my dishes slightly - I have a Superdish for 110 and 119 and a 61.5 wing satellite for HD and locals. Is this a good idea, ie. worth it? Will it even improve anything? Thanks in advance for any help.

Hey, when it rains out here, we go outside and watch the rain. When it's over we go back inside and watch HDTV on Dish.

Miner said:
Macado,

I use a Dish 500 w/ I bracket for 129 and get pretty decent signal from 129. Some of the transponders are 80%+ strength, and the poorest in the 70s. When the 129 sat does its wobble, I still do lose Rave and Monsters channel. I'm located up in the NW, west of Seattle. Not having a 1000, I cannot confirm what the signal would be with it, but from reading other posts, I would approximate the Dish 500 is 10 points higher.

Mark

This is pretty close to my experience with a 500 pointed at 129 in Mill Creek/Bothell. My weakest tp is where StarzHD is (tp10). The past few weeks have been either lucky for me or dish is managing the 129 wobble better.