Signal strengths

Status
Please reply by conversation.

erict

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jan 10, 2008
I will be having the slimline dish installed and would just like to know ahead of time where my signal strengths should be before the installer leaves. Could someone list all the sats that he will be peaking and the acceptable signal strengths? Also which sats carry which signal(hd,sd,locals, etc). 48843 zip code.

try using search

Tried that. Thank you for the help. The only thing I keep finding is different posters with there numbers. I’m looking for a general guideline to go by.

Tried that. Thank you for the help. The only thing I keep finding is different posters with there numbers. I’m looking for a general guideline to go by.

Several of the satellites have spotbeams directed at various cities. One or two may be directed at you, most of them are not.
101 - some transponders are spotbeams and will be low or even zero but most TPs should be in the 90s or even 100
110 - three transponders, should all be high 80s at least.
119 - like 101 there are some TPs that are spotbeams but most of the TPs should be in the 90s or even 100.
99 - this will be 99(b) or 99(s) depending on which receiver you have. These are all spotbeams delivering HD locals so don't worry about any of the signals. You may see lots of low/zero signals or even all zeroes.
103(a) or (s) - another set of local HD spotbeams. Just ignore them, like 99.
103(b) or (c) (depends on which receiver or DVR you have). VERY IMPORTANT and many techs do a poor job getting the dish aligned because they don't have a meter that will read the 103(c) signals. The standard DirecTV installation involves finding the middle of the 101 signal and then assuming the dish will be correctly lined up on 103(b)/(c) It often is not. Your 103(b)/(c) signals should be at least in the high 80s, preferably mid-90s.

If the 101/119 and 103(b)/(c) signals are peaked then any local HD signals you are supposed to be receiving on 99 or on 103(a)/(s) will automatically be peaked also, that's just how the geometry of the dish works.

It would seem to me that looking at other member's signal strength values IS a guideline. :)

It would seem to me that looking at other member's signal strength values IS a guideline. :)

It can be a good guideline but only if you understand that different parts of the country get different signals on the spotbeams. Many people don't really understand that (look at the number of posts you see with people very worried because they get no/low signals on 99)

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts