Signed up for Directv again

A friend of mine lives where iTurbo6 lives, he's told me before they are serviced by COX.
that explains it from what i heard cox sucks as far as the PQ goes. as well as you can't record from the mini's on there whole home DVR you have to set up recordings from the main box as well..

i heard alot about comcasts PQ being crap as well due to compression

Yeah, Comcast downconverts all 1080i stations to 720p, even the local channels (at least here).
They have been doing it for years.

I noticed it before I knew they were doing it, watching for a few days, wondering why it did not look as nice, looked it up and read about the down converting.

Also read some quotes, where they said they were knocking it down to 720P, but if you set your box to 1080i, you will not notice, I wonder how stupid they believe their customers are.

Reactions: John2021
I go to a hotel a lot that has Comcast for their channels (via a custom channel lineup system that includes a scrolling guide channel), and all the channels (even the ones I KNOW are 1080i on other providers) report as 720p on the on-screen info bar of the LG TVs they have in there (They used to have Philips TVs in the rooms until July 2022).
From a distance, I didn't notice any difference, except when I looked up close, like for example the on-screen Comedy Central bug (C within backwards C) almost looked like it's corners were rounded.
What's sorta ironic is that another hotel nearby (so nearby you could literally walk to it) has D* for their channels via a COM2000 system, which also uses a custom channel lineup + scrolling guide channel.

Yeah, Comcast downconverts all 1080i stations to 720p, even the local channels (at least here).
in my area charter's PQ is as good as direct's as there rolling out fiber. as well as having a t.v. that's a good upscaler helps to!!! but the cost per month is hard to swallow direct has always come out cheaper and there giving me channels that charter don't have in my area..
like all of the RSN'S and NESN yes network ect ect

in my area charter has the same PQ as direct since there rolling out fiber. when we canceled our direct i took charter for a spin for a week. i hated it the channel lineup sucked to many duplicates as direct gives you more bange for your buck. the best thing about charter was the damm guide :D

i went back and re read his post he said that he signed up for spectrum:shh

yeah when I decided to ditch directv, I removed my satellite and put up a Televis Ellipse Mix antenna. OTA locals are so much better than pay tv. As of June 29th, we have Fox, CBS, NBC, KTLA, and KCOP in 1080p with ATSC 3.0.

Youtube tv UI was nice but I couldn't find a good and consistent way to watch the Lakers. That's why Spectrum became a convenient choice. I didn't consider directv stream because it didn't have NFL Network + I wanted one of my rooms to exclusively use an app for tv so that the coax could be used for antenna. For a while, DIRECTV's streaming app for Apple TV was only for Stream and not satellite.

I didn't consider satellite again until I noticed that they had a new gemini box + the app works for any of their services. In the end, I have Satellite with an OTA antenna. Best of both worlds. (both my tv's are Sony's with ATSC 3.0 tuners.)

I thought about going back to DTV but called and they were higher that I pay now. They sure wasn't quick to tell me the final price I would pay after going through
all the options

I thought about going back to DTV but called and they were higher that I pay now. They sure wasn't quick to tell me the final price I would pay after going through
all the options

do it online. idk why people call for the sales rep. you can see all prices after you configure to your liking online. mine came to 114/mo with the choice package + 1 free gemini. in September I'll add sports pack and remove it when the season ends.

do it online. idk why people call for the sales rep. you can see all prices after you configure to your liking online. mine came to 114/mo with the choice package + 1 free gemini. in September I'll add sports pack and remove it when the season ends.
he might try the win back dept they gave us an awsome deal for two years!!! they gave us 78.01 off the premier pack minus the receiver fee and rsn fee plus the Hd movies pack and epix that we added on they gave us a 200 rewards card for sticking around:). they let us use the same boxes so no two year contract!!! and they did swap out the server!!! with how there loosing subs id'e imagine they will offer people the moon and stars now to get em to stay just to make it look good in the eyes of the shareholders!!!

I don't think the cable in my town even offered HD until 2017 or so and then only couple of channels

Here, we have the option of the Cable company with thier New Fiber, or I think Frontier is back there still, NON Fiber.
Frontier ran fiber in my town last fall. It's internet only.

What most of the cable companies do when converting their distribution from coax to fiber is they use a technology called "RFOG" (Radio frequency over glass). It uses all the coax oriented equipment and spectrum, transmitted over fiber. If your upload/download speeds are not the same after the cable company buries fiber down your street, that is what they are doing. I use Optimum (formerly Suddenlink) cable for internet at our winter home in NC. The fiber conversion improved the reliability, and DOCSIS 3.0 allowed faster speeds, but it is still coax cable technology. MetroNet just installed a real FTTH ssytem down the street, with symmetric upload/download speeds. I will consider switching to them when my current Optimum promotional rate ends. It will be interesting to watch the price competition to come. And Optimum plans to abondon RFOG in favor of real FTTH, "in the future" . I will probably keep DirecTV for TV.