Significantly Viewed Coming to Dish?

rdinkel

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jul 13, 2004
Woodland Park, Colorado
Any update on if/when Dish will be offering significantly viewed stations on the FCC list? I live between Denver and Colorado Springs. Am in the Colorado Springs DMA, but FCC includes Denver ABC, CBS, and NBC stations as significantly viewed for my location in Teller County.

I think the only way Dish is going to do SV is
-if your market is a short market (missing one of the Big 4)
-your congressman starts a bill for Dish to add them (like they did in Vermont)

SV in most cases is not going to happen

Such as the case here in NH where WMUR is the only network in the state hopefully they will throw the switch for the rest of us NH subs.

I think the only way Dish is going to do SV is
-if your market is a short market (missing one of the Big 4)
-your congressman starts a bill for Dish to add them (like they did in Vermont)

SV in most cases is not going to happen

I think Dish will offer more and more SV if they can work out deals with stations to do so on the cheap. I do not see them paying normal LiL rates for SV stations, but I could see it as a barganing position. A station could get X for LiL in their DMA and a smaller amount Y for SV. Locals will want SV to increase their audience, when their contracts come up with Dish I could see them pushing for more SV coverage. Dish also needs SV to compete better in a lot of markets, but I do not see them voluntarily paying much for it.

Or maybe those channels that could be added in SV markets could be added for free if they want their channels outside their current market. I am sure Dish / Direct would not oppose that to those willing to allow them to add them for free if they want to be in more homes.

There is also the SV rule that DBS providers cannot provide a duplicate network as SV if they do not carry the local network. So, if they cannot work a deal with the local CBS they could not bring in an SV CBS. Also if they do not carry the local in HD they cannot bring in SV in HD. Of course if there is not a local CBS they can bring in an SV CBS without issue.

I have a friend that told me a couple years ago to Direct gave him the NY HD feeds of the 4 local networks. Something about at the time Direct only offered the sd version on the local networks. Does this sound like it could be true? If so why can't Dish to the same thing for a station like the CW? (fyi I know the cw isn't a big 4 channel)

I thought this was a feature you were talking about. They should add significantly viewed to the guide favorite lists. So one goes to that auto-generated list and it is a list of "Significantly Viewed" channels.

This is a benefit that cable has in our area,they offer channels from both cities no matter if it's having 2 ABCs,2 NBCs,and 2 CBSs,because after the national programming is over the programming on these channels are different.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts