Significantly Viewed (DIRECTV calls them Neighboring Channels)

Status
Please reply by conversation.

doublek97

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Apr 20, 2006
It's my understanding that DIRECTV is permitted to add significantly viewed locals to subscribers' packages. I live in Central PA and my zip code places me in the Harrisburg/Lancaster DMA. Thus, I receive all the Harrisburg/Lancaster locals.

Our location is right on the edge of the DMA, as we bump right against the Altoona/Johnstown DMA. The area cable television systems all carry broadcast channels from BOTH DMAs.

I don't understand why DIRECTV will not add the Altoona/Johnstown DMA channels to our package so that we match the cable television offerings. We live in a White Area, so rooftop antennas aren't of use for either DMA really.

It's true that DirecTv does not offer significantly viewed locals in many areas. One issue which may or may not apply to your area, is that if DirecTV offered significantly viewed locals to you, they would probably have to deliver them to everyone in your DMA. And to most people in the rest of your DMA, the channels would not really be considered "significantly viewed". And for people at the other side of your DMA, they would want different significantly viewed channels. It's a very complex issue.
With cable it's easy, because the cable system typically operates over a much smaller viewing area.

It's my understanding that DIRECTV is permitted to add significantly viewed locals to subscribers' packages. I live in Central PA and my zip code places me in the Harrisburg/Lancaster DMA. Thus, I receive all the Harrisburg/Lancaster locals.

Our location is right on the edge of the DMA, as we bump right against the Altoona/Johnstown DMA. The area cable television systems all carry broadcast channels from BOTH DMAs.

I don't understand why DIRECTV will not add the Altoona/Johnstown DMA channels to our package so that we match the cable television offerings. We live in a White Area, so rooftop antennas aren't of use for either DMA really.

Cable and satellite are apples and oranges when it comes to rules. Legally, Directv can show official SV and they negotiate for it some areas and not in others. Dish doesn't do it virtually anywhere.

Posted Via The FREE SatelliteGuys Reader App!

I think it matters if the SV stations are O&O stations. Also, I think the stations in your dma have to give their permission for it.

It's true that DirecTv does not offer significantly viewed locals in many areas. One issue which may or may not apply to your area, is that if DirecTV offered significantly viewed locals to you, they would probably have to deliver them to everyone in your DMA. And to most people in the rest of your DMA, the channels would not really be considered "significantly viewed". And for people at the other side of your DMA, they would want different significantly viewed channels. It's a very complex issue.
With cable it's easy, because the cable system typically operates over a much smaller viewing area.

SV channels are determined by county. That's why you have to select a county sometimes.

The FCC has SV stations broken down by county. The stations I am seeking are on the SV list for my county. I would think DIRECTV would be able to distribute the SV stations using a zip code system.

Keep in mind Direct TV is under no obligation to provide them.

I have 3 SV stations. None are O&O.

I didn't mean to insinuate that it is a requirement, just that it makes it more likely.

SV channels are determined by county. That's why you have to select a county sometimes.

I always thought the differentiation by county was to sort out which counties in a zip code were in each DMA. You specify a zip code, then a county but only where the zip code spans multiple DMAs. Of course I am probably wrong. But do you know of any situation where different counties in the SAME DMA have different DirecTV locals?

CT has different SV channels depending upon which county you live in, but the locals are the same.

Directv does SV in extreme cases. This isnt like cable where they can carry pretty much what they want
As example, Mankato, MN (90 miles from Minneapolis) is a 1 station market (CBS main/Fox subchanel)
Cable has the Big 4 from Minneapolis, ABC from Austin/Albert Lea (90 miles to the east), the 2 Mankato stations and PBS from Mpls and Austin. Satellite has the 2 mankato stations and nbc & abc from mpls as fill ins. If you live in north mankato you do get the mankato cbs as sv. the county is in the mpls market yet the cbs mankato (keyc) studios are in north mankato

I always thought the differentiation by county was to sort out which counties in a zip code were in each DMA. You specify a zip code, then a county but only where the zip code spans multiple DMAs. Of course I am probably wrong. But do you know of any situation where different counties in the SAME DMA have different DirecTV locals?

You are correct too. Both circumstances cause a county to be specified.

DirecTV sorts first by ZIP code and then if there are multiple counties in that ZIP code, it breaks it down further.

DirecTV doesn't choose the channels you get. The FCC does. DirecTV just complies with the maps that the FCC lays out.

Yes, the FCC determines the respective DMAs for all homes, and thus the appropriate local channels. However, the FCC also says that it's ok to provide significantly viewed locals in certain areas. That's all I am asking for -- stations the FCC has identified as being significantly viewed in my area.

Different locals based on Zip/County in Ct.

The locals for Fairfield county come from NYC, but I was referring to the rest of CT, which is in the Hartford dma. I should have been more specific.

Reactions: Tampa8
The locals for Fairfield county come from NYC, but I was referring to the rest of CT, which is in the Hartford dma. I should have been more specific.
It seems in CT, that D* might use zip codes for SV determination. When I lived in Naugatuck, ( New Haven county), I received CBS2 from New York. When I moved to Wolcott, (New Haven county), CBS 2 was removed. My next door neighbor in Naugatuck moved at the same time to Terryville (Litchfield county), did not lose CBS 2. Never could figure out this logic.

That is odd, since I get channel 2 here in Cheshire. We are both in New Haven county, and live about 5 miles apart.

This was the reason I dropped DTV for about 6 months. They refuse to give both DC and Baltimore channels in Frederick County MD, where Baltimore channels are listed as SV and available on cable. I tried everything before dropping them to no avail. The only reason I came back was because Comcast only offers 2 games per night in HD on MLB Extra Innings. I,too, wish they would quit making excuses and do what the FCC says that they legally can.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)