Significantly Viewed option

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

dtro77

On Vacation
Original poster
Feb 10, 2012
Poconos PA
Hey guys , I saw this thread on the other site. And I was just wondering on what your take is on the subject.

Like why doesn't Directv or the Networks allow this option?

There is so much back and forth over there, But yet it doesn't seem like an answer is been stated. I was going to post there , but its messy.:)

There are 2 guys from PA that are very close to my area, and they claim they should be receiving these, But Directv and the networks say otherwise. I guess? Any thoughts?

There is a great deal on confusion in that thread.

1) Cable and Satellite rules for out-of-DMA stations (they're not called "significantly viewed" on cable) are entirely different. There are all kinds of loopholes for cable (most notably where their headends and systems are) that allow for more locals.
2) "Should receive" is relative. The FCC has a definitive list, which can theoretically be updated (though not without some effort). From that FCC list, DirecTV has only been able to secure broadcast rights for a small number of SV channels nationally. IIRC, Dish was outright banned from having SV channels due to issues with DNS, but i might be corrected there.

If you post your zipcode, i can give you a better answer.

There is a great deal on confusion in that thread.

1) Cable and Satellite rules for out-of-DMA stations (they're not called "significantly viewed" on cable) are entirely different. There are all kinds of loopholes for cable (most notably where their headends and systems are) that allow for more locals.
2) "Should receive" is relative. The FCC has a definitive list, which can theoretically be updated (though not without some effort). From that FCC list, DirecTV has only been able to secure broadcast rights for a small number of SV channels nationally. IIRC, Dish was outright banned from having SV channels due to issues with DNS, but i might be corrected there.

If you post your zipcode, i can give you a better answer.
I did check, But I wasnt posting that over there.

I live in Monroe county too, as the one guy.
Its 18424

We are in Scranton Wilkes Barre DMA

I don't blame you not posting there. That thread is an absolute mess!

Right, so, from the FCC (http://transition.fcc.gov/mb/significantviewedstations010213.pdf)

Monroe
KYW-TV, 3, Philadelphia, PA
WPVI-TV, 6, Philadelphia, PA (formerly WFIL)
WCAU, 10, Philadelphia, PA
WCBS-TV, 2, New York, NY
WNBC, 4, New York, NY
WNYW, 5, New York, NY (formerly WNEW)

I'm not shocked at all that a small affiliate would block SV access to a bunch of mega-owned-and-operated (O&O) stations! It stinks, but the last satellite bill didn't help this situation at all.

IMHO - the whole thing needs to be scrapped, especially if the FCC continues to think about selling spectrum used by OTA networks. Base DBS locals on competing cable counterparts, and call it a day.

I don't blame you not posting there. That thread is an absolute mess!

Right, so, from the FCC (http://transition.fcc.gov/mb/significantviewedstations010213.pdf)

Monroe
KYW-TV, 3, Philadelphia, PA
WPVI-TV, 6, Philadelphia, PA (formerly WFIL)
WCAU, 10, Philadelphia, PA
WCBS-TV, 2, New York, NY
WNBC, 4, New York, NY

I'm not shocked at all that a small affiliate would block SV access to a bunch of mega-owned-and-operated (O&O) stations! It stinks, but the last satellite bill didn't help this situation at all.

IMHO - the whole thing needs to be scrapped, especially if the FCC continues to think about selling spectrum used by OTA networks. Base DBS locals on competing cable counterparts, and call it a day.
I would love to have some of those Philly Networks, But I guess its not going to happen?

Anything I could try?

I saw one posted they contacted the Networks General Managers and they said no.
Is that true or BS?

Interestingly, Wayne County has a different SV list:

Wayne
WNEP-TV, 16, Scranton, PA
WYOU, 22, Scranton, PA (formerly WDAU)
WBRE-TV, 28, Wilkes-Barre, PA
+WSWB, 38, Scranton, PA (formerly WOLF-TV)
WBNG-TV, 12, Binghamton, NY (formerly WNBF)
WNBC, 4, New York, NY

(Don't worry about the WB/Scranton locals on that list, the FCC is stupid that way, amongst other ways)

As to what you can try - it's likely a pointless exercise. One thing not mentioned often - the HD locals haven't been activated as part of this. I have a friend in a market with SV channels from NYC, and it's only the SD ones that are activated. If you want HD, don't even remotely bother.

If I were to contact anyone, it would likely be a congressional rep. The law itself needs changing.

Wayne
WNEP-TV, 16, Scranton, PA
WYOU, 22, Scranton, PA (formerly WDAU)
WBRE-TV, 28, Wilkes-Barre, PA
+WSWB, 38, Scranton, PA (formerly WOLF-TV)
WBNG-TV, 12, Binghamton, NY (formerly WNBF)
WNBC, 4, New York, NY

(Don't worry about the WB/Scranton locals on that list, the FCC is stupid that way, amongst other ways)

As to what you can try - it's likely a pointless exercise. One thing not mentioned often - the HD locals haven't been activated as part of this. I have a friend in a market with SV channels from NYC, and it's only the SD ones that are activated. If you want HD, don't even remotely bother.

If I were to contact anyone, it would likely be a congressional rep. The law itself needs changing.

I'm in the Hartford CT dma and get 2, 4, and 5 from NYC as significantly viewed. They are only in sd like Hancox mentioned.

Yes I did notice this, But the CBS and NBC is mostly all I want to request.

Suddenlink provides both Tyler and DFW locals (only Tyler in HD though) for our city. With Directv we only get Tyler locals in HD. If we lived just a couple of miles west which would put us into a different county we would have DFW locals in HD.

Directv does SV but in extreme cases

Again we are dealing with a double standard. Cable can carry stations if they can pick them up OTA. Directv can so SV in some areas but not all. Mainly due to spotbeam coverage

Directv does SV but in extreme cases

Again we are dealing with a double standard. Cable can carry stations if they can pick them up OTA. Directv can so SV in some areas but not all. Mainly due to spotbeam coverage
Yea I see.
But anyhow Spotbeam is not an issue in my case. I can move but then I lose my Scranton locals.
Its BS that Satellite isn't aloud to carry out of Market locals, but cable can.

What sucks even more , even if I complain to our state rep, what will that do?
It sounds like Every State doesn't allow this.

You could use an AM21 for your Scranton stations and move somewhere nearby.

You could use an AM21 for your Scranton stations and move somewhere nearby.
Too far OTA , only receives WSWB 38, WBRE 28 and ION.

I live in a valley at 1300 feet, where all around me is over 2000 feet.

I would need a Huge ant. according to TVFOOL website.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts