Significantly Viewed option

Status
Please reply by conversation.
not really
C-Band does have some of the national feeds up there (CBS, ABC, NBC) but you need a 8 foot or larger dish. There are ABC, NBC and FOX from Puerto Rico and the USVI that is a hybrid station....as in it is the NY stations (WABC, WNBC, WNYW) but the commercials are not NY (they're from PR/USVI) and they do pre-empt stuff. A 6 footer is fine for those but the pic isnt the best (Dish subs there will mention that)

KU Band is NBC but its just the national feed so lots of black space

There is a great deal on confusion in that thread.

1) Cable and Satellite rules for out-of-DMA stations (they're not called "significantly viewed" on cable) are entirely different. There are all kinds of loopholes for cable (most notably where their headends and systems are) that allow for more locals.
2) "Should receive" is relative. The FCC has a definitive list, which can theoretically be updated (though not without some effort). From that FCC list, DirecTV has only been able to secure broadcast rights for a small number of SV channels nationally. IIRC, Dish was outright banned from having SV channels due to issues with DNS, but i might be corrected there.

If you post your zipcode, i can give you a better answer.

Cable MSO's fall under "Must Carry" regs.
I would imagine the premise was to compel cable companies who's head ends were within a certain distance of TV Station cities of license, had to carry those stations on their systems.
For example, Cable systems in central portions of NJ carry channels from both NYC and Phila. While the Satcos divide by zip code.
Weird stuff always happens to people who live near borders and boundaries.
I guess the all time could have been a real bad situation for me was when I installed a Dish system for this one customer.
Anyway, this guy lived on the edge of two DMA's. According to the Nielsen Map, he was in the Charlotte DMA. I mean within 1/2 mile of the FLorence, SC DMA and the Columbia SC DMA The three DMAs all met right near this customer. He had cable and was getting Florence, SC and Charlotte, NC locals.Because of the elongated geographic shape of the CHarlotte DMA, he was A LOT closer to Florence than he was to Charlotte. Anyway, I walk into this guy's house and he a shrine dedicated to Univ of SC Football. I knew this was going to be trouble if I even mentioned local channels. Here's the problem. With Charlotte being an NC station, USC sports were not a priority. The stations in NC are ACC oriented. In SC it's Gamecock Football every Saturday. Well, NC Stations do not have contracts to show the Univ of SC.. They have deals with the ACC and other NC based conferences. So not every USC game would be shown. So knowing this I kept quiet about it. I drove 80 miles to get this job done and was not about to lose it over a technicality. I figure since I was not the one who sold the system, who was I to question anything. Not my job.
Anyway, the point being, even though one may be located in one DMA, they may be much closer to a city of an adjacent DMA and have closer ties to that city. The Satcos have hard boundaries for the delivery of local channels.

I don't blame you not posting there. That thread is an absolute mess!

Right, so, from the FCC (http://transition.fcc.gov/mb/significantviewedstations010213.pdf)

Monroe
KYW-TV, 3, Philadelphia, PA
WPVI-TV, 6, Philadelphia, PA (formerly WFIL)
WCAU, 10, Philadelphia, PA
WCBS-TV, 2, New York, NY
WNBC, 4, New York, NY
WNYW, 5, New York, NY (formerly WNEW)

I'm not shocked at all that a small affiliate would block SV access to a bunch of mega-owned-and-operated (O&O) stations! It stinks, but the last satellite bill didn't help this situation at all.

IMHO - the whole thing needs to be scrapped, especially if the FCC continues to think about selling spectrum used by OTA networks. Base DBS locals on competing cable counterparts, and call it a day.
Don't think for a second cable companies wish like hell must carry was scrapped. They no doubt would love to have those channels for other stuff.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)