significantly viewed stations as broken down by county

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

teknophyle

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Hey everyone, Here is it hot off the presses. Find your county and find out the changes. I have contacted DTV and they had no clue of course so I called LA and was given an e-mail to someone in programming. I sent her a link to the FCC's site. Here is the link! HAPPY READING! I just wonder how long it will take for the changes to take place? Maybe 6 months to a year? When they pulled up my zip code nothing had changed but according to page 82 of this document 3 West Palm Beach stations have been added to the significantly viewed stations as broken down by county.

http://hraunfoss.fcc.gov/edocs_public/attachmatch/FCC-05-24A1.doc

So does this mean that if I get a waiver from the stations listed in my county then other out of market stations can not challenge my waiver?

This is about useless for me, for my county (Mobile, AL) it doesn't list all the stations that ARE in that area, so what they list is fewer stations than what I am getting now with Dish locals.

Does any part of this new law require the provider to REMOVE stations from the locals package for counties that "shouldn't" get them?

If the link does not work for some reason try this:

FCC Proposed Significantly Viewed Rules from SHVERA

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Here it is, hot off the presses all 460 pages. Enjoy the read.

Adobe Acrobat: http://hraunfoss.fcc.gov/edocs_publ...FCC-05-24A1.pdf
Word: http://hraunfoss.fcc.gov/edocs_publ...FCC-05-24A1.doc

Added: Here is the press release from the FCC:
Adobe Acrobat: http://hraunfoss.fcc.gov/edocs_publ...OC-256592A1.pdf
Word: http://hraunfoss.fcc.gov/edocs_publ...OC-256592A1.doc

I'm a newbe to this stuff. I looked at my county FOX, CBS, & ABC stations on the list (no NBC, PBS). What does this "Significantly Viewed " mean? I get all my SD locals & FOX-HD & CBS-HD (both O&O-I get the East feed) from D*.

Barney

Sorry gusy I jsut thought it made sense to put all the questions in one place. But if you want it here fine.

So... what will this list mean? My county only has one station listed, a small UHF ABC network affiliate. I currently get the Houston networks from D*. ( I live 154 miles from Houston )
Does this mean I will lose my Houston ABC network?
Does it also mean I should get all Distant HD network feeds except for ABC?

I understand it to mean that your E* of D* could add these channels to the locals that you already receive. This is to help compete better with cable. For example I live in Lincoln Ne. Our DMA is Lincoln, Hastings, Kearney. However when we install antenna for ATV or DTV we get Omaha and Lincoln stations. Cable uses the Lincoln and Omaha stations as there locals. Lincoln people prefer the LIncoln Omaha and we do lose Dish sales because of that. This will just put the satellite companies on a leveler field.

Shawn

I see two locals listed I don't currently recieve. Any idea when these will be added?

SHVERA/Significantly Viewed

colofan said:
So does this mean that if I get a waiver from the stations listed in my county then other out of market stations can not challenge my waiver?

This is an e-mail that I received from DirecTv corporate offices:

Please note the information below with regard to your questions on the significantly viewed legislation under SHVERA.

There are many changes to DIRECTV systems and processes that will be made because of SHVERA. We are still evaluating the full impact and will be tackling issues as quickly as possible given available resources.

Under the new legislation DIRECTV has the right but not the obligation to provide significantly viewed stations to customers in markets where we currently provide local channels. There are a number of factors that will go into determining where we can and will provide these additional channels. We are currently working out the technical process that will allow us to deliver such stations. Once that has been finalized, DIRECTV must determine which stations we can technically provide and which would be of the most benefit to our subscribers. Then we must notify local stations of our intent to provide a significantly viewed station to customers in their market at least 60-days before launching service. Given all these issues we do not expect a rapid deployment of these channels and no schedule is currently available.

Things you should know about Significantly Viewed:

1. This provision of the law does not impact which stations are in
your home DMA and will not require DIRECTV to remove any station you are currently receiving.
2. If DIRECTV is able to provide significantly viewed stations in
your area they will be added to your existing channel list.
3. In most areas not all stations from neighboring markets are
designated as significantly viewed and the list of significantly viewed stations varies by county.
4. In some areas it will not be technically possible for DIRECTV
to provide the significantly viewed stations because of satellite coverage limitations.

I hope this clarifies the issues for you.

Sincerely,

Catherine Slocum-Nall
Senior Manager
Programming Acquisitions
DIRECTV
2230 East Imperial Highway
El Segundo, CA 90245
Tele: 310.964.4969
Fax: 310.535.5416
cslocum-nall@directv.com

This email may contain material that is confidential, privileged and/or attorney work product for the sole use of the intended recipient. Any review, reliance or distribution by others or forwarding without express permission is strictly prohibited. If you are not the intended recipient, please contact the sender and delete all copies.

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Wednesday, February 09, 2005 9:59 AM
To: 'gfs_fla@bellsouth.net'
Cc: Slocum-Nall, Catherine
Subject: RE: SHIVA

I am forwarding your message to my colleague, Catherine Slocum-Nall, who
manages our local channel distribution.

Thanks,

Reagan

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)