Signing up for dish

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

Carroll A

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Dec 6, 2004
I have been away from DISH Network for 3 years but thinking about coming back. I have also relocated to a different state and it's really just me that would need TV. My question is what would be a good setup for May would some of the older VIP receivers work or should I just go for the gusto and get a hopper? I know there is a lot of great deals going on right now and just would like to know what would be the best way to go. Thanks for any help have a great day!

I have been away from DISH Network for 3 years but thinking about coming back. I have also relocated to a different state and it's really just me that would need TV. My question is what would be a good setup for May would some of the older VIP receivers work or should I just go for the gusto and get a hopper? I know there is a lot of great deals going on right now and just would like to know what would be the best way to go. Thanks for any help have a great day!

Depends on your recording/viewing habits. A Hopper has a lot of bells and whistles that the previous recievers don't have. A Hopper will.run you 5 dollars more a month for dvr fee than the 722 will but a Hopper has 3 tuners a 722 only has 2 (unless you add OTA).

If I were you and only needed 1 TV and didn't mind the cost I would go with the Hopper. I love mine. I use the sling feature all the time as well as Pandora internet radio application.

Hey thanks for the reply! Where I'm at there really is no high speed internet unless I use Verizon high speed internet and I am relegated to 10 gig data cap. Where I'm at unless I threw up a really nice rooftop antenna locals over satellite would be my best option. Just looking to change up the monotony of living out in the boonies lol and just seeing what my options are. Thanks for your time.

Big question is how many hdtv's do you have. The VIP dvr's only have 1 hd output, the other is sd. The tuners record in hd, but the tv2 output is sd. If you want to feed hd to more than 1 tv, you will need a Hopper and a Joey for the secondary tv(s).

Pop for the Hop...you won't be bored anymore...or at least until the wow factor wears off.

Last edited:
I would never recommend a 612 as the primary receiver. It's not that it's a bad receiver, it's just not as good as the 722K and the 722K gives you more options for future TVs.

Thanks for the input. When I left Dish over 3 years ago I had a 622 and always had what I figured were HDMI issues. Went through 3 622's changed everything out and still poof had the same issue. I would love to get a hopper but how much does the hopper rely on the internet to make a lot of it work? Like I say I am in no mans land when it comes to internet that is high speed. Once again thanks for all the help. It is just amazing how much things changes in 3 years LOL.

You don't need the internet at all for it to work. The internet just makes more features available to you like VOD and some apps.

If you don't need dual tuners,you can save yourself a few bucks per month,by going with a 211.You have to provide your own external hard drive,and pay a one time fee of $40.In 6 months it's paid for itself.

If you don't need dual tuners,you can save yourself a few bucks per month,by going with a 211.You have to provide your own external hard drive,and pay a one time fee of $40.In 6 months it's paid for itself.

You can't buy a good external hard drive for what it cost to have a DVR for 6 months($42). If you factor in the one time fee of $40 plus a good EHD which sell anywhere from $80 to $100 you could have a dual tuner DVR for a while. I know having a 211 with EHD can be a good deal but I think sometimes people forget the upfront cost to make that set up work. Plus, having a second tuner is worth the $7 a month for the DVR fee if you like to record a lot.

You can't buy a good external hard drive for what it cost to have a DVR for 6 months($42). If you factor in the one time fee of $40 plus a good EHD which sell anywhere from $80 to $100 you could have a dual tuner DVR for a while. I know having a 211 with EHD can be a good deal but I think sometimes people forget the upfront cost to make that set up work. Plus, having a second tuner is worth the $7 a month for the DVR fee if you like to record a lot.

No,I was talking about the dvr fee being paid for.There is always the chance that the op already has an ehd.

I just have one HDTV but the Hopper does look really nice. Got a few other fish to fry, but atleast if I do pull the trigger it looks like I will get a hopper... Thanks for all the help everybody. I don't post often on here but do a lot of reading. I just relocated from IL back to SC and after not having Cable or Satellite out here in the boonies the quality programming that Raycom has in the form of infomercials and other things is just getting to bland for me LOL... Have a great day everyone and once again thanks for the help...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)