Signing Up For Turbo HD??

new2sat2

Original poster
Jul 28, 2009
A Place W/O Verzion FiOS
Hi, I am thinking about getting Dish Network Turbo HD Silver, but have seen some things on Sat Guys that Turbo HD may be gone and that they are not getting new channels which made me hold off. When I chatted with them the supervisor said they said that Turbo HD wasn't going to be canceled, and that they were exploring new channels for Turbo Silver. We are looking to cut down on the number of channels we receive that we don't watch. Suggestion, comments, advice?? By the way what does all this D* and E* stuff mean.

D* means DirecTV and E* (which was short for Echostar -- the parent company) means Dish Network.

As long as Turbo HD Silver already has all the channels you want or would want, then it might be okay to switch -- but E* has taken away channels in the past so keep that in mind. Be aware the Dish Network is well known for misleading customers with half-truths and outright lies -- and not just their CSRs...the deception goes all the way to the top (their CEO). If I had it to do again, I'm not sure I would have switched from D* to E*.

If the current ramblings come true, you might want to sign up to get TURBO by Friday, 'cause you might not be able to on Saturday. If you decide that you don't like TURBO, you can always change the package at any time.

Good advice (I'm a TurboSilver).

If the channel lineup meets your needs, TurboHD is a very good deal for HD watchers. DirecTV lacks a discounted HD-only package to compete with it.

According to the chatter, if you already have TURBO, you're safe, but as of August 1, it won't be offered to new or existing customers.
If that happens, then I wonder if DISH will finally stop screwing their TurboHD subs and give them the rest of the new HD channels that were added in 2009 like they were lead to believe (but then declare those packages "frozen"). I know...I am dreaming, but at least at that point the number of people subbing to TurboHD couldn't grow and thus would be contained. I know that supposedly DISH cannot offer some of the channels without the rest, but I think it is really that the contract they negotiated (to offer these channels) is a package deal and not a la carte -- so I bet they can put just some of them in a package but they'll still have to pay the providers the total package price. Now I'm sure they wouldn't want to do that if everyone was a TurboHD sub, but they might do it now that they've forced a lot of TurboHD subs to go to the Classic+HD packages (and thus have fewer TurboHD subs). I'm not holding my breath though. I've yet to see DISH do the "right thing" even once since I've been with them.

Someone told me the RSNs are crapshoot in terms of watching games. Anyone confirm this?

You only get one RSN and it will have all of your regional programming on it.

If you sub to the package that gives you all the RSN's, most of the professional sports are blacked out and some of the college is blacked out - but you do get to see all the talking heads - not sure that would be classified as a crap SHOOT, maybe just the crap.

I was talking about the HD RSN channels (in another thread) -- I think he missed that point. Getting the game in HD and knowing that much beforehand is definitely a crapshoot (at least for MLB).

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)