Silent External Harddrive

BBfromCA

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jan 5, 2006
Is there such a thing as a silent external harddrive?
Those I have tried either click or thump.
Can anyone suggest a quiet drive?

Ok.... Guess I should have specified. This is for a 211 and Solid State Drives (as I understand) do not work for this.

Source: Dishnetwork's Tech Portal

Tech Portal : (choose receiver model) : How To : External Hard Drive

Requirements
USB 2.0
Size between 40GB and 750 GB
Must have its own AC power adapter. Don’t try to power it off the receiver’s USB ports.
No dual drives (two drives in one physical case)
No flash-memory drives
No hybrid drives (flash memory plus traditional disk in one physical case)
A one-time External Hard Drive Activation Fee of $39.99.

I bought a WD 500GB WD5000AVVS from MWave along with a docking station.
The hard drive sits in the top of the docking station in the open so there is no fan.
With the hard drive right next to my ear I can barely hear it so it's probably about as quiet as you will get. You can check that number on Western Digital's web site, they list it as low power requirements and for DVR use. So far I am very pleased with it.

The Western Digital My Book series has a patented design of several holes aesthetically designed to cool the drive WITHOUT any fan and that is what produces most of the noise. It is very quite. I can't hear it at all. The WD My Book is a very reliable HDD and different models are endorsed by Tivo and Dish Network as guaranteed to work with their hardware. However, just about any of the My Book drives with the required connection (USB 2.0 for Dish) work very well. There is officially only one WD My Book model that will work with Tivo.

Use a solid aluminum enclosure instead of plastic and you won't hear a thing. I have three and never hear them.

Now, if you are hearing a clank clank clank clank clank sound, that drive is dead.

Quiet Hard Drive

I guess if you don't want to hear absolutely no clicking or thumping you can do as I did. I took a generic external box for a 3.5" drive and put in a 320GB notebook drive on a mounting adapter. Neither I nor my wife hear any noise from it!

They are not ALL that expensive and he did want SILENT :D and they are indeed that...

The price will come down...I remember not to long ago paying that kind of money for disk....

wow, now I'm dating myself but I can remember when RAM cost that much.

My first computer (that I can remember) came with 4mbs of RAM and a 540 harddrive. It cost me, back then, $300 to upgrade the total ram to 8.

BTW, I just turned 28. Happy freakin birthday me. lol

wow, now I'm dating myself but I can remember when RAM cost that much.

My first computer (that I can remember) came with 4mbs of RAM and a 540 harddrive. It cost me, back then, $300 to upgrade the total ram to 8.

BTW, I just turned 28. Happy freakin birthday me. lol

Happy Birthday! I remember 28 - it was twenty years ago...

Source: Dishnetwork's Tech Portal

Tech Portal : (choose receiver model) : How To : External Hard Drive

Requirements
USB 2.0
Size between 40GB and 750 GB
Must have its own AC power adapter. Don’t try to power it off the receiver’s USB ports.
No dual drives (two drives in one physical case)
No flash-memory drives
No hybrid drives (flash memory plus traditional disk in one physical case)
A one-time External Hard Drive Activation Fee of $39.99.

Has anyone put this to the test...that is the USB or SSD drive support?

I say this because they say 40GB - 750GB and we know (or at least I do) you can go larger than 750GB since day one.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts