Silly question about 1080p Directv signal

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Sharpie

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Mar 17, 2004
Is the 1080p signal that I receive the same quality as that of a Blu-ray? Probably a really dumb question. Is the 1080p signal compressed? I swear I can see a difference between 1080p movie content from Directv than from my Blu-ray. With, the Blu-ray player having better picture quality. I haven't post in awhile, but want to wish all a Happy Holidays!

The 1080p/24 VOD movies from Directv are a very high quality, but they are not near the bitrate of Blu-ray, just can't do it. However, when it comes to paying for a rental movie, the PQ is good, and Vudu HDX and Directv 1080p are a good 2nd and 3rd option to Blu-ray.

I do not have VOD. I order 1080p through their normal pay per view channels. Are you saying there may be a quality issue between VOD and ppv? With VOD being better?

I thought the 1080p PPV channels still downloaded, or "recorded" to the box. Do they actually have a 1080p channel on a transponder like the 1080i HD? Whenever I choose a 1080p movie, without the green check(means its already on the dvr hdd), it downloads it. Im using Directv Cinema though.

I think there are some 1080P titles available through DirecTV Cinema (PPV, whatever they're calling it today) that don't come over the internet - the ones that get d/l overnight to the reserved space on the disk.

And like elwaylite said, they will both look worse than Blu-Ray. Lower bit rates.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)