Silver Sensor amp?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

meStevo

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Lifetime Supporter
Aug 20, 2004
Las Vegas, Nevada, United States
What amplifier do I buy to try and help out my Silver Sensor (in LV, 89015)? I see it recommended in multiple threads, but its never named or even one given for reference, some call it a pre-amp, others just amp, but nobody ever says 'get th xxx yyy zzz that I have, here's a link.'

I've tried talking to people at Radio Shack when nothing jumps out and bites me when im there, and they're clueless (probably in general, not just about HD) and unable to help me.

Any information would be appreciated :)

I've got a Phillips signal amp on my silver sensor. I got all the New Orleans stations (30 miles) in the 90's before Katrina. I can get the Biloxi Ms ABC station now at 75 -80 (60+ miles)

It's at Walmart in the electronics dept. Dual output 16 db signal amp $39

Im still getting 4-12% on some stations that antennaweb says i only need a small multidirectional antenna for... Im pointing the thing everywhere but down (well no, tried that too) and not working, will have to try my Phillips MANT510 once girly is done watching CSI rerun.

I've got it all hooked up, and have no noticeable change in signal strength :mad:

Edit: Even with the MANT510, same signal quality, the thing is a glorified splitter at this point. Tell me I got the wrong product please? :confused:

Elstevo, are you running at least rg6 coax for the whole setup? that wal-mart amplifier has a noise level of 4db (on products page as "Noise Figure") you could take it back and try one of the better ones you can get online or mailorder with a noise level of 3db or lower. if you plan on someday using it with cable tv internet make sure you get a "drop amplifier" type. :)

I'm using the RG_ that I have available, whatever came with my antenna and my digital cable box and some RG6 that was left over from my parents D* install a while back. I've tried swappong some of them around as well, to no avail. If they're to blame for anything, they either all suck, or are all mediocre/great.

I get the exact same reception with my Silver Sensor and my MANT510 with an without the amp. Silver Sensor being a bit more touchy of course.

Local CBS for example I can not get above 50-65%.

Elstevo, you should check all of the cables you have the lesser quality cables let the tv signal escape more even worst the longer the cable is. example: if you have all rg59 cable you might need a tv signal amplifier compared to using rg6 and not needing a tv signal amplifier, and if you use rg6 or rg6 quad shielded cable with a very good tv signal amplifier you sometimes get more tv stations!
here are some high quality well known "drop" type tv signal amplifiers for indoor use:
Motorola Signal Booster 484095-001-00
Electroline EDA2100
if you put up an outside antenna youll need a better tv signal amplifier setup use the type that mount very close to the antenna on the pole with a power injector inside the house. some people even go as far as adding an antenna rotator to the setup. make sure to use at least rg6 coax and a tv signal amplifier with 3db or lower noise figure.

Before I got my outdoor setup, I was using a Silver Sensor and a pair of rabbit ears both running thru a CM-7777 Preamp and received very strong signal. :D

Elsteveo, first of all, did you ever get a good signal or no signal from the start?? Where is the Silver Sensor located? If your system is in a basement, an indoor antenna is not gonna work. The next thing is, do you know if the local stations are even broadcasting at full power?? Call and find out. Right now, alot of stations are only at full power or even less than that durring primetime. Everyones application is different, and terrain, buildings in the way etc, have an effect on reception. Exactly how far are you from the towers? I'm approx 18mi from both the DC and BALT towers and the Silver Sensor (amped) did well for me. I can tell you want all this to work right away as I did, but this is a process of elimination and it might take a little time to get the right combination. Save your reciepts! I'm sure you will get alot of good suggestions from everyone here and we'll help you get it right. Good luck.---Ray

Have you input your exact address into www.antennaweb.org?

This will tell you how far you are from the transmitters. Inputting your zipcode, it looks like you are less than 10 miles from all.

If they are transmitting at full power, you shouldn't need an amplifier or pre-amp with the Silver Sensor, maybe just a better location for the antenna. Where, in the house is the antenna, what type of siding and roof materials are we dealing with, any obstructions (buildings, trees, etc.) between you and the antenna farm?

Be sure you are NOT using RG-59 cable, throw it away and buy some RG-6.

Basic rules for antennas, bigger is better, higher is better.

Thanks for all the info guys, will let you know after I spend soem mroe time/money on the problem and give you an update. Some things have come up that will prevent me from playing with it too extensively until after the holidays.

Thanks again for all the help and information!

- Steve

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)