Silver Sensor Stupid Question of the Day

dhillii

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Mar 24, 2004
Guys, sorry for my ignorance. Can a Silver Sensor be simply plugged into a HD Ready TV (like a SharpVison 55") and receive locals w/o having to use any type of HD receiver?

dhillii said:
Guys, sorry for my ignorance. Can a Silver Sensor be simply plugged into a HD Ready TV (like a SharpVison 55") and receive locals w/o having to use any type of HD receiver?
As long as the TV has the tuner built in all it needs is a signal to process. The answer is YES!!! :)

I've purchased a "Terk" version of Zenith's Silver Sensor.

Does anyone know how well it performs through a diplexer? I intend to place it in the attic of my garage and integrate (diplexer) it into the satellite cabling.

I am within 2-4 miles of all major network broadcast locations and hope that these may do a better job than the larger 34 element antenna taking up so much space in the attic of my garage.

Since I am so close, I also hope that the Terk will obtain a stronger signal since the larger conventional antenna is better suited for stations that are 20-40 miles away.

Can anyone provide advice or experience?

Thanks,
Spence

Dear Spence,

The Silver Sensor does a great job at eliminating multi-path, especially in the urban environment. Please keep in mind though that most likely your various available OTA HD channels are going to be strewn about at different azimuth's and unless you have it connected to a rotator you are going to be making multiple trips to the attic.

Check to see if your local transmitters are in the same general "area" by checking out this website:

http://www.antennaweb.org/aw/Address.aspx

If they are all within a 50 degree arc you should be O.K.....

SpenceJT said:
I've purchased a "Terk" version of Zenith's Silver Sensor.

Does anyone know how well it performs through a diplexer? I intend to place it in the attic of my garage and integrate (diplexer) it into the satellite cabling.

I am within 2-4 miles of all major network broadcast locations and hope that these may do a better job than the larger 34 element antenna taking up so much space in the attic of my garage.

Since I am so close, I also hope that the Terk will obtain a stronger signal since the larger conventional antenna is better suited for stations that are 20-40 miles away.

Can anyone provide advice or experience?

Thanks,
Spence

dhillii said:

I did a quick search on the SharpVision 55 inch, and from all of the descriptions I can find, this set is referred to as an HDTV "monitor." That means the HD receiver is not built into the set, and you will need an external reciever to get HDTV. That external receiver can be an HD box from your cable company or satellite provider, or a standalone HD receiver for over the air channels from Circuit City, Best Buy, Walmart, etc. Most HD boxes from Direct TV or Dish Network will allow you to also receive OTA HDTV. Once you have an HD receiver, you would then connect the Silver Sensor to the antenna input on the receiver. Other antennas - indoor or rooftop - may also work. The antenna will likely need to pick-up UHF, as most (but not all) OTA digital signals are being broadcast in UHF. Users say the Silver Sensor is one of the best indoor antennas for UHF HDTV.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)