Simple question about subwoofer frequency response

Minto Took

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Sep 10, 2006
Chicago, IL
I'm looking to add a subwoofer to my home theatre setup and I'm a bit confused on what I should look for in frequency response. My main speakers' low end response is down to 40 Hz. I can't tell you the response in reference to gain since I haven't measured them yet. The bigger issue is that I live in an upstairs apartment and not bothering the downstairs neighbors is a big priority of mine. The room size is about 2000 ft^3.

I remember reading in an interview with a music producer that he sets the max bass Q to around 40 Hz and that this is common practice among producers. So really, should I look for a sub that goes down to 20 Hz or what range should I really look for?

I look at these basics to start:

Frequency Response: 30Hz or so on the low end (the lower the better) - 150Hz

RMS power rating. 150w or so (the higher the better)

Video shielded. YES

Woofer Composition: I am not a fan of plain paper cones.

The lower the better. The threshold of human hearing is somewhere around 20Hz but bass lower than that can be felt. Now there are people that will claim that 30Hz response is low enough, and for the most part with music, that's true. But for home theatre where many of the effects and impact come from the subwoofer, lower is most definitely better.

The lower frequencies are felt by the sub moving air. You may not hear below 20Hz but you most definately feel it. The lower frequencies is what shake the house.

The lower frequencies are felt by the sub moving air. You may not hear below 20Hz but you most definately feel it. The lower frequencies is what shake the house.

Actually all of what we hear and feel is a function of moving air. That's what speakers do, they move air......the more air they move, the more efficient (aka loud) they are. We often forget that because in the case of a subwoofer, it moves so much air that we can see, hear and feel it's effect, but all speakers move air, even the tweeters although it's a tiny amount.

I'm looking to add a subwoofer to my home theatre setup and I'm a bit confused on what I should look for in frequency response. My main speakers' low end response is down to 40 Hz. I can't tell you the response in reference to gain since I haven't measured them yet. The bigger issue is that I live in an upstairs apartment and not bothering the downstairs neighbors is a big priority of mine. The room size is about 2000 ft^3.

I remember reading in an interview with a music producer that he sets the max bass Q to around 40 Hz and that this is common practice among producers. So really, should I look for a sub that goes down to 20 Hz or what range should I really look for?
A sub is going to get the neighbors mad. Go for it! After that shut off your main speakers @ 80 or 100 Hz. How much can you spend? I paid $500 for a Hsu Research 10"/250 watt that rocks. Above that price check out SVS brand. Both factory direct and specialize in subwoofers. Set them for deep, not boom.

I was going to say that if you are worried about your downstairs neighbor, a sub-woofer should be off the "wish list" for now. There is absolutely NO WAY to add a sub-woofer without adding a "rumble factor" to the sound your neighbors will hear especially if you have wood floors with standard floor-joist system. The floor becomes the sounding board for many sub-woofers helping to amplify the bone-jarring sound you expect. That sound will go right through the floor into your neighbor's apartment as if the sub-woofer were in their own living room. The higher the frequency, the better walls and floors stop them. The lower the frequency, the more the walls and floors become nothing more than another transfer medium.

See ya
Tony

Brands to avoid? Known good brands, along with Hsu Research & SVS? Any value to buying the sub of the same brand as the rest of the speakers, when replacing everything?

For slightly less transfer to the floorboards it's possible to use a slab of granite or marble under the sub. I had a 2'x2'x1" slab of granite cut (live on a 12th floor with neighbors above and below) for mine and it had the added benefit of cleaning up the bass a bit.
As far as recommended freq. resp. the guys have said it all: lower is better. Powerwise, 150w should probably be enough for good bass reinforcement in a 2000 cu ft room. I'm a big fan of the partsexpress stuff, they have some great easy to assemble kits! The 10" Titanic MKIII would be more than adequate in your apartment.

For slightly less transfer to the floorboards it's possible to use a slab of granite or marble under the sub. I had a 2'x2'x1" slab of granite cut (live on a 12th floor with neighbors above and below) for mine and it had the added benefit of cleaning up the bass a bit.

THREAD NECROMANCY!

Using a granite slab for sonic isolation has to be the most brilliant thing I've heard to solve this problem. :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)