Status
Please reply by conversation.

Shawn95GT

Tivo fanatic
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Feb 9, 2005
Phoenix, AZ
A friend of mine has signed up for DirecTV and it'll be installed on Monday. He called me asking if he needs to have a land line.

I did a search but I didn't see a clear cut answer on it. As far as I can tell he does not need a land line but he'll be limited on PPV etc.

Is this correct?

Thanks,

No - you don't need a phone line. You are also not limited on PPV purchases. You just have to call a CSR or purchase on the internet. I don't have one nor do I plan on connecting one and all works fine.

Correct, the land line allows you to order PPV from your remote. If you don't have a phone line connected, you simply need to order PPV online or over the phone.

Also if you have the latest CE or national release for the HR20, and have an internet connection, that works the same as having a phone line. It communicates to DirecTV via Internet instead of phone line.
:)

Unfortunatly, the OP didn't say what receiver he is talking about, so we have a pretty good chance that all this info is correct, but cannot be 100% sure with out the model.

Jimbo

Also if you have the latest CE or national release for the HR20, and have an internet connection, that works the same as having a phone line. It communicates to DirecTV via Internet instead of phone line.
:)

Do you know if that would enable them to learn your location (via reverse IP# search)? Thats pretty scary for those of us subscribing to DirecTV in Canada.

No - you don't need a phone line. You are also not limited on PPV purchases. You just have to call a CSR or purchase on the internet. I don't have one nor do I plan on connecting one and all works fine.

Isn't there a fee for a CSR if they were to order a PPV for you?
I believe the only feature is free and the one that you do with the receiver.

Do you know if that would enable them to learn your location (via reverse IP# search)? Thats pretty scary for those of us subscribing to DirecTV in Canada.

What is scary, getting caught doing something illegal? Then don't do it.

What is scary, getting caught doing something illegal? Then don't do it.

Its scary because up to now, DirecTV had no idea of where your actual physical location is where you receive signals. So you can receive programming designed for a different location, have receivers in multiple locations, obtain service outside the US. But now, they could potentially figure out where you are. Thats a huge invasion of privacy.

Its scary because up to now, DirecTV had no idea of where your actual physical location is where you receive signals. So you can receive programming designed for a different location, have receivers in multiple locations, obtain service outside the US. But now, they could potentially figure out where you are. Thats a huge invasion of privacy.

Bullsh!t. It's not an invasion of privacy at all. You are providing them the information freely. The fact that you can get caught doing something that you know is wrong should be enough of an incentive to not do it in the first place.

Bullsh!t. It's not an invasion of privacy at all. You are providing them the information freely. The fact that you can get caught doing something that you know is wrong should be enough of an incentive to not do it in the first place.

There is nothing wrong here. Paying the bill in full, DirecTV gets their money. My point was that up to now, there was no way for them to verify your physical location and now there is. This is a very dangerous step for the millions of us that use it at other locations. Is there any way of preventing them from seeing the IP address of the receiver, or else faking a different address?

There is nothing wrong here. Paying the bill in full, DirecTV gets their money. My point was that up to now, there was no way for them to verify your physical location and now there is. This is a very dangerous step for the millions of us that use it at other locations. Is there any way of preventing them from seeing the IP address of the receiver, or else faking a different address?

Sorry, but I'm not going to tell you how to break the terms of your contract and get away with it.

Yup, disconnect the internet.

Isn't there a fee for a CSR if they were to order a PPV for you?
I believe the only feature is free and the one that you do with the receiver.
Yes there is...the fee is $3.50 if you use the automated system or $5.00 if you actually speak to a CSR.

Nothing scary about that.

So it's scary because you 1) Violate the terms of your contract; 2) Violate US law; or 3) Violate Canadian law. Take your pick, but understand that DirecTV has the RIGHT to know where their equipment is physically located. You don't own all of the equipment, even if you own the receivers. The part that you never own is the access card. Don't believe me? Read the fine print on the card wrapper, which clearly states that the card remains the property of DirecTV.

In addition, having receivers in multiple locations is fraud. If you really think there is nothing wrong with it, why don't you call DirecTV and tell them that you have multiple receivers at multiple locations in Canada, and see what they say.

Yes, there is something wrong with it. If there wasn't, you wouldn't be so concerned about DirecTV finding out the physical location of your receivers now, would you?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)