simple questions re:311

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

Kentstater72

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jun 18, 2004
North of Toledo
My sister in Lima Ohio is getting Dish installed. two quick questions

1. When she hooks up her antenna to the 311 will she only receive digital broadcasts, or will she be getting the analog broadcast. (Lima's CBS is analog only)

2. Does she need the phone hook up really, or just for install?

Thanks in advance, I really do not want to drive down there for this.

Kentstater72 said:
2. Does she need the phone hook up really, or just for install?

You are supposed to hook up all of your receivers to a phone line. However, the 311 never actually *needs* a phone line unless you want to purchase PPV using your remote (if you purchase by phone or over the internet, you never need a phone line). You don't need it for the install either.

Thanks,
My sister is a little slow with these matters. I am going to recommend that she just gets a cheap set of rabbit ears (only 2.8 miles from tower) and runs a telephone line for the set up. Though that begs the question, will dish install and activate if she has not provided a telephone line?
Again no big deal I just don't want to drive 180 miles to install 18ft of wire.

The 311 is a digital receiver for the satellite channels If your Local stations are on Dish, those analog stations will be delivered to the 311 as digital. If they are not on Dish, you have to pick them up as you do now.

Wait I am lost

Well would it be best to just run the rabbit ears to a separate input to the TV, or run it through the 311? The manual shows an coax input.

To be honest your sister is probably better off at this point if you stay out of it until you understand what is being installed.

The 311 receiver is a SATELLITE receiver ONLY. Meaning it only receives programing sent down from the satellites.

It has no tuner in it for OTA (over the air) broadcasts.

If you are trying to receive OTA broadcasts the antenna would be connected to the ANTENNA input on the TV

Thank You Jordan (I think).
I know D* and I knew V*, you are right I do not know E*, however I did read the manual for the 311.
Maybe I am not expressing myself well.
I am asking for an opinion. Would it be best to run the antenna through the 311 stb or hook up the antenna straight to the TV even though I may need to use an a/b switch?

Also as I think about Jordan's response the question pops up, does E* supply an antenna in DMA's where they do not provide locals?

Sorry a little harsh

The antenna input on the 311 is only a pass thru, meaning you would have to connect a cable from the 311's coax output to the TV's antenna input and use the TV's tuner for OTA.

Dish does not supply an antenna, if you use a local installer they may be able to install one for you for a fee.

Check www.antennaweb.org to get a recomendation on antenna size for your location.

Also check AVS Local HDTV Info and Reception and find the thread for your area to see what kind of antenna other people near you are using with sucess. It is a thread mainly for HDTV reception but it should give you some idea how analog OTA reception near you is also.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/forumdisplay.php?f=45

Remember if you are trying for analog OTA you will need a VHF/UHF antenna not just a UHF antenna

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)