Simple request to reaim my dish - BIG PROBLEM

I'm sorry but I really get sick of people wanting things for free. When you think about how much it cost to send a tech out between gas, salary for the tech, and whatever cable or parts are used to fix the problem, it easily cost dish around two hundred bucks to send someone out. Second of all as someone else said earlier have your ever called a plumber or electrician? Id love to hear how it turned out when you called the ac repairman and told him since you haven't had any problem for nine years he should come out free of charge. A normal service man charges around seventy bucks just to show up at your door whether he fixes anything or not, and then itemized every thing he does and charges for that also. Sorry for the rant but I'm a dish tech and that free mentality really gets old with me.

what is it with the red herrings on this forum.....calling a plumber or electrician as an analogy is absurd...if your power goes out because a transformer blew..the utility repairs it...if a water main breaks, the utility repairs it...I could care less whether a tech gets angry because of his line of work...become an independent if you have a problem...or become a plumber or an electrician. You're getting paid to do a job . Get over yourself

Last edited:
what is it with the red herrings on this forum.....calling a plumber or electrician as an analogy is absurd...if your power goes out because a transformer blew..the utility repairs it...if a water main breaks, the utility repairs it...I could care less whether a tech gets angry because of his line of work...become an independent if you have a problem...or become a plumber or an electrician. You're getting paid to do a job . Get over yourself

If a transformer blows or water line breaks and something happens in you house because of it you are left with paying for those repairs yourself. That or your insurance.

If my water main breaks in the street, they pay for it. If it breaks on my property, and this has happened to me, I pay for it. If a transformer blows, the power company fixes it. If a circuit breaker at my main panel blows, I pay for it... If the satellite breaks Dish pays for it, if my on house hardware breaks, I pay for it.

downriver said:
Funny how you compare a transformer and watermain to a dish, those would be more suited for the satellite themselves selves versus a dish which would be more in the lines of a light switch or water faucet.

Some of these guys actually DONT get paid for performing free service calls, that's why they get their.panties.in a bunch when custys want free crap.

But ya know just become "so so and so" instead of an installer is kinda hard to do with 2 kids, a mortgage, car payment and all those other bills you have. Can't just quit and go to school for a new job.

donsmith1964 said:
I don't lease my plumbing, electric, or ac. I lease equipment and pay for a service from dish. I expect it to work. If I knew how to close this thread I would.

You lease a car and you are still responsible for the repairs on your dime.

donsmith1964 said:
I was on the phone for over 30 minutes schedule a dish re-aim. I have been a dish customer for 9 years and except for upgrading to HD have never had a tech visit. I had to subscribe to their service plan and threaton to leave to get the almost $100 fee dropped. Dish's customer service level has dropped to new lows.

Even telling them of my issues of wind and rain signal loss didn't matter to them.
Ya know what you could do.to avoid all the service call fees? 2 things, buy a meter and drill and fix.it.your.self........( justice kidding but true).......

Switch to another provider as a new customer and receive all kinds of free stuff, like a free install and free programming and a free DVR and a free this and a free that. Yeah your gonna have to sign a 2 year agreement but that's the cost of free.

Chances with your old system its gonna need a reinstall anyways. And by the way, due to company.policy on service calls (in-house for sure) we can no longer just.point your dish..... everything must be brought up to standard(possibly replacing everything) or suffer the consequences of not "following direction", which could mean no more job.

So if you finally do decide to stay a customer and have a service.call.performed be aware.that the tech may have to spend anywhere from 1 hour to 8 hours on your house (depending on your system) .

Thank you for your inquiry.

Last edited:
If a transformer blows or water line breaks and something happens in you house because of it you are left with paying for those repairs yourself. That or your insurance.

Which has NOTHING to do with the OP or satellite service. The fact as, as the OP has no doubt learned on this forum, the best course of action is to learn it yourself...it's certainly not rocket science or plumbing....My experience with Dish Network Techs, fifteen years of it, and all of them have been contractors for various outfits, is that the turnover is high and the competence is low

Are you really so simple as to not be able to tell the difference between a leased automobile and satellite service?

To put it in your words, are you really so simple as to not see the analogy?
Leased Car
Front end out of alignment
You are responsible for fixing it
Unless you bought insurance

Satellite Dish
Out of alignment
Unless you bought insurance.

Leased Car
Engine blows, determined to be through no fault of yours
Engine is replaced

Leased Receiver (the engine)
Receiver stops working determined to be through no fault of yours
Recevier is replaced

Funny how you compare a transformer and watermain to a dish, those would be more suited for the satellite themselves selves versus a dish which would be more in the lines of a light switch or water faucet.

Some of these guys actually DONT get paid for performing free service calls, that's why they get their.panties.in a bunch when custys want free crap.

But ya know just become "so so and so" instead of an installer is kinda hard to do with 2 kids, a mortgage, car payment and all those other bills you have. Can't just quit and go to school for a new job.

I am comparing Dish to a utility....and you are the one who is complaining about Dish customers...your bread and butter. You don't like it, do something else.

downriver said:
Which has NOTHING to do with the OP or satellite service. The fact as, as the OP has no doubt learned on this forum, the best course of action is to learn it yourself...it's certainly not rocket science or plumbing....My experience with Dish Network Techs, fifteen years of it, and all of them have been contractors for various outfits, is that the turnover is high and the competence is low

That has all to do with hirirng expectations. All they want is a diploma (or similar) and the ability to take it up the ........

To put it in your words, are you really so simple as to not see the analogy?
Leased Car
Front end out of alignment
Unless you bought insurance

Satellite Dish
Out of alignment
Unless you bought insurance.

When you can drive your satellite dish to Nebraska then you have an analogy.

downriver said:
I am comparing Dish to a utility....and you are the one who is complaining about Dish customers...your bread and butter. You don't like it, do something else.

Dude. I didn't complain, I was stating a fact, I don't have the problems most of these guys do with customers, I could careless what your issue is I am there to fix it. I get an hourly wage (in-house) to do what ever it is to get.a job done. The longer I'm on a job the more I make per job. Might have low productivity, but since I'm rated on a monthly scale. Ill make that up on another job.

Either you don't want to admit there is an analogy, or you just don't get it. An analogy does not need to be an exact replica. That's why it's an analogy.
analogy

[uh-nal-uh-jee] ? Origin
a·nal·o·gy

? ?[uh-nal-uh-jee] Show IPA
noun, plural a·nal·o·gies. 1. a similarity between like features of two things, on which a comparison may be based: the analogy between the heart and a pump.
You would apparently say unless the pump can be implanted into a person there is no analogy.

To help you out - the Dish and front end are both pieces of equipment, both need to be aligned correctly, both being leased. Both are your responsibilty to get fixed.

I probably would not have even posted had you not resorted to calling someone simple.

Last edited:
downriver said:
You are no doubt correct

Now imagine what your bill would be like if all installers also.had to have degrees or even certified in a field like a plumber or an electrician, since that's your comparison...

Now imagine what your bill would be like if all installers also.had to have degrees or even certified in a field like a plumber or an electrician, since that's your comparison...

I have no problem with nominal fees for service calls....In my opinion when you are a satellite subscriber it is the responsibility of the company to get that signal to your receiver....and I would hope you meant "the ability take it up" ....a ladder.

Last edited:
Either you don't want to admit there is an analogy, or you just don't get it. An analogy does not need to be an exact replica. That's why it's an analogy.
analogy

[uh-nal-uh-jee] ? Origin
a·nal·o·gy

? ?[uh-nal-uh-jee] Show IPA
noun, plural a·nal·o·gies. 1. a similarity between like features of two things, on which a comparison may be based: the analogy between the heart and a pump.
You would apparently say unless the pump can be implanted into a person there is no analogy.

To help you out - the Dish and front end are both pieces of equipment, both need to be aligned correctly, both being leased. Both are your responsibilty to get fixed.

I probably would not have even posted had you not resorted to calling someone simple.

I'm sorry there is no comparison between a satellite TV signal and an automobile. There might be to you but I'm pretty sure you would be in the minority in the world away from satellite tv forums.....and I have no problem with nominal service charges..and it was a question...and you answered it.

Last edited:
So what did this thread accomplish? Did the original service get performed? Curious if the OP had their Dish repointed or not and if the service was any good.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts