Sinclair CEO warns Dish: Agree to deal or risk becoming irrelevant

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
all the sports whiners can leave dish and sling go to the higher price other guys and enjoy the continued price hikes. Dish and Sling can cut prices a little for those that stayed... what a great pipe dream im having ....

Ditto! Lovin’ the price of Flex-movie pack and locals. Don’t care to pay for others’ sports fix but I don’t think sports people should be hosed either.

As a sports person I like the idea of the RSNs. I also like the idea that, as a sports fan, I am responsible to pay for those sports. That's why I have subbed to the sports package since it came into existence. What Sinclair is attempting to do is what YES did many years ago. They wanted YES to be included in the base package so everyone would have to pay for it. DISH told YES to take a hike. While there are Yankee fans all over the country not everyone in the country is interested in paying to see them. I applaud DISH's stance here.

all the sports whiners can leave dish and sling go to the higher price other guys and enjoy the continued price hikes. Dish and Sling can cut prices a little for those that stayed... what a great pipe dream im having ....
If you really expect Dish to cut prices, you haven't been around here very long. In addition, sooner or later it will be a channel YOU want that is getting cut, and then you will be the one whining. It's easy for people to say "I don't watch channel x, so get rid of it!", but then there would be no channels left.

Sinclair is just a bunch of folks peddling propaganda on their stations each night. I bet Charlie is shaking in his boots over this bogus threats,

According to Google Sinclair owns 193 channels in 89 markets across the U.S. If there is a problem with these channels you can bet Dish will have a big problem.

And please don't start with the political hate speech here. Thanks. :)

The ONLY reason a company would come out with a statement like that especially with the time that has passed is desperation. Charlie has told them to pound sand if they can't make changes. Sinclair has now realized Charlie means it. DISH is better if they can have the RSN's but with many choices now online that does not make you get RSN's and people cutting the cord I say it is Sinclair that has to worry more than DISH. You can bet they are keenly aware Directv may have an expiring shelf life further limiting who they sell to that makes you buy their product.

Maybe Sinclair just realized they bought a Pig in a Poke.

Sinclair hasn't gotten over when they lost out to 8VSB when ATSC v1,0 so it doesn't surprise me their CEO is feisty towards Charlie.

Reactions: HipKat and KE4EST
Oh geez, get real. Sinclair made a bad purchase and it's loosing it's shirt, and it needs DISH and Sling's customer bases to bring in more revenue.

Fox knew RSNs were low margin items - teams get all the cash and they are harder and harder to place on the lowest tier....when they want $5, $6, and $10 a month per sub, its overkill. Not everyone watches RSN.

Sinclair can try all it wants to get on DISH - but DISH is offering free antennas to people now and that beats them in most major markets....sure rural area guys will take it in the shorts. If Sinclair forces DISH then that's going to result in even lower revenue when they are pulled off DISH.

My guess is DISH made offers to put the RSNs on higher tiers and also throw them in multi sport packs. Asking every sub or 75% of subs must get the RSN is not going to fly in the cord cutting environment.

Bottom line is Sinclair made a bad purchase. Hoping they lose their shirt - they are not credible people

According to Google Sinclair owns 193 channels in 89 markets across the U.S. If there is a problem with these channels you can bet Dish will have a big problem.

And please don't start with the political hate speech here. Thanks. :)

Problem is this is the model. Very low margin for the broadcaster because all the fees go to the team. And the storm is here - the channels are just too expensive for its actual viewership across the lowest tiers. The whole market needs to adjust, and that's painful.

Sports is just too expensive these days period. I wish all of the sports channels would be in a package or packages so the people that want them can buy them.

So? Just more channels to pull off the system when a dispute happens.

DISH's response earlier this year was to give me a free antenna. It works well. I don't need DISH to provide me locals anymore. So that's even less $$$ to go to Sinclair.

And if I quit DISH, I can hook the antenna up to Sling's AirPlay unit....and get my locals and pay TV.

On this point i support DISH. These channels have gotten ridiculously too expensive.

Sinclair,
190+ locals,
Locast growing by the day...

Sent from my SM-T580 using the SatelliteGuys app!

Quite frankly, go back to the premium service model. Put the RSNs on a preimum subscription and allow the subscriber to choose whether they want it. That's what we did when I was a kid for NESN and (what was then) Sports Channel New England. In fact, I was the only kid who at school who didn't get Disney Channel because my father preferred to see the Bruins and Whalers games.

But, Sinclair won't do that. Then they would be forced to actually provide content to entice people to subscribe. That's why NBC Sports Boston is gone and nobody cares. Outside NBA season, the channel is irrelevant. With NESN, we get Bruins in the winter and Red Sox in the summer. YES is the same way. Nets in the winter and Yankees in the summer. Instead let's create a Cubs only channel that is irrevelant for six months out of the year, then force subscribers to pay for it.

It's the same reason why I don't subscribe to the National Sports Pack, as I see no use for MLB Net, NHL Net, NFL Net, and NBA TV in the off season. Time to stop feeding the gluttonous pig. They only keep the control so long as people allow them to have it. I simply disconnected, keeping access to a few things and drastically lowering my TV viewing habits. The games are free to listen to on FM, and I can multitask in that manner. I sub to NESN to watch one or two Red Sox/Bruins games a week. That's it. I listen to the rest. I can clean my pool, take my dog for a walk, mow the lawn, go to the gym, wash the car, and whatever else all while still listening. I don't need to be glued to the couch.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)