Single channels from a package?

brabus

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Sep 17, 2006
I'm probably going to get the answer I don't want, but...is there any way to get Dish to give you one channel for a price? They do it for locals, so any way to do it for others? I specifically want WGN so I can watch Cubs games, but I don't want any of the other channels that come with it on the Top 200 package (I think that's the one it's included on). I really don't want to have to upgrade packages just for ONE channel. Any way around this, or am I SOL?

I'm probably going to get the answer I don't want, but...is there any way to get Dish to give you one channel for a price? They do it for locals, so any way to do it for others? I specifically want WGN so I can watch Cubs games, but I don't want any of the other channels that come with it on the Top 200 package (I think that's the one it's included on). I really don't want to have to upgrade packages just for ONE channel. Any way around this, or am I SOL?

Come on buddy.... come on.. seriously.. ask your question outloud.. the answer is obvious. No company is going to provide one channel. Not in the foreseeable future. Sucks.

A la carte programming from Dish:
Most of the info from the EKB
Individual channels available A La Carte:
Baby First TV $9.95/mo
Bloomberg TV (Business News) $1.50/mo
*PBS $1.50/mo
The Outdoor Channel (Not Outdoor Life Network) $1.99/mo
The Golf Channel $4.99/mo
RFD TV $1.99/mo
**KTLA WB Los Angeles $1.50/mo
**KWGN WB Denver $1.50/mo
**WPIX WB New York $1.50/mo
**WSBK UPN Boston $1.50/mo
**WWOR UPN New York $1.50/mo
*PBS no longer allows the national channel to be sold unless the subscriber qualifies to receive this channel. Go to the or the PBS Web site to see if you qualify to receive a channel that is supported by YOUR tax dollars.
**Customer must qualify to get this station per FCC regulations. See the Dish Web Site and click on "Locals" to see if you qualify

Adult channels
Playboy Channel $14.99/mo or PPV
Extasy $27.99 or PPV
TEN (The Erotic Network) $22.99/mo or PPV
ETC (Erotic TV Clips) $22.99/mo or PPV

Mini-Packages
Local Channels. $5.99/mo
Superstations Package $5.99/mo
Action Pack Programming (NO LONGER AVAILABLE) $4.99/mo
Encore Pack Programming $4.99/mo
Multi Sport Package $5.99/mo (Requires AT100+ or higher sub... cannot be purchased as a stand-alone)
Dish CD (32 CD Stereo Music Channels) $4.99/mo
*Dominion Sky Angel (Independent DBS Service) $11.99/mo (61.5°)

Premium Packages
HBO $14.99/mo
Showtime $12.99/mo
Cinemax $12.99/mo
Starz $12.99/mo

Any two $22.00
Any Three $31.00
All Four $40.00
All four plus Playboy $50.00
(Playboy can be substituted for any of the four premium packages in thes bundles)

With the exception of Sky Angel, add $6 Program access fee if you do not subscribe to a "Basic Package" (AT###, DL, Great Wall)

See ya
Tony

That pretty much covers it(What Tony Posted).

Oh well...it was worth a shot. So I was right that they will provide single channels, just the one I want isn't on the list. Thanks anyways guys.

I think about a decade ago, you could either; get WGN as a Superstation, or it was included in another package.

If you decide to get a package that includes WGN Superstation, then you may want to make sure ahead of time that it is what you really want. I don't remember much, but I kind of remember about a year ago reading something that "WGN Channel 9" and "WGN Superstation" do not continuously have the same programming, especially when it comes to sports. So you may not get the games you were looking for (?).

Of course, if Channel 9 is what you are looking for, and you are within the spotbeam for Chicago, then maybe you could subscribe to local service and get it on Sat 110, Transponder 31, Spotbeam 19.

WGN was never available as a separate superstation. I was part of the original America's Top 50 along with KTLA, WPIX and WSBK. When AT50 changed to AT60 with the addition of the rainbow channels ABC (typo...that was AMC dummy! :)), Romance/IFC and other channels like Bravo, WPIX, WKSK KTLA and newcomer WWOR went off to their own Superstations package for $4.99. WGN Superstation--which was then called "Entertaining America" (Not WGN 9 Chicago) stayed on AT60. KWGN joined the superstation package about 5 months afterwards.

The package names can be confusing when looking back in "history" at them. WGN has always been part of the second tier on Dish. Just a history on the package names:

(lowest tier)
AT40 1996 (Late winter)
AT50 2002
AT60 2004
AT100 2007

(Middle Tier)
AT 50 1996 (December?)
AT 60 1998 (April)
AT 100 CD 1998 (June)
AT120 CD 2004
AT200 2007

(Top Tier)
AT150CD 2000 (May)
AT180CD 2004
AT250 2007

See ya
Tony

what was the action pack? i didnt know u could add encore by itself for 5 bucks...i might do that now..

from the ekb :)

The Action Pak included several channels of interest to fans of sports and outdoor activities. Price was $4.99/mo

111 Do It Yourself Channel
195 Discovery Wings
148 CNN SI
150 The Speed Channel
151 Outdoor Life Network
153 Outdoor Channel

This package has been discontinued as of 6/02. CNN Sports Illustrated went dark due to lack of viewership and light carriage on cable systems. Speedvision was sold to Fox and the channel moved from AT150 to AT100.

The Outdoor Channel is still available a la carte for $1.99 a month.

A note for those that are interested in the Encore Pack. This package contains Encore West, Westerns, Love, Mysteries, Drams (true Stories) and Action. It does NOT include Encore East which is part of the Starz pack, nor does it include WAM which is only available in AT250.

Oh and a correction to a typo in the last message on the last page... Where I typed ABC when talking about the Rainbow channels, I meant to type AMC :)

See ya
Tony

A note for those that are interested in the Encore Pack. This package contains Encore West, Westerns, Love, Mysteries, Drams (true Stories) and Action. It does NOT include Encore East which is part of the Starz pack, nor does it include WAM which is only available in AT250.

Oh and a correction to a typo in the last message on the last page... Where I typed ABC when talking about the Rainbow channels, I meant to type AMC :)

See ya
Tony

Thanks for the information... The outsourcer just told me I could not get a package like this!! I think I'll just call back later and ask for it with a different representative. (This is the primary reason I hate calling DISH). Regardless, this sounds like a wonderful deal for those particular networks. I was also unaware that you could get the GOLF Network seperate as well.

I'm thinking of dropping the AT200 for the lower tier package and doing something like this (adding Encore). I currently only watch the SPEED channel for NASCAR qualifying through the AT200 (it's the only reason I have the package) and have just ordered SIRIUS satellite radio (where I can listen to it anyways). Just an idea...

Cade

Get an 8-10' dish, a cheap analog reciever and it's availabe here for $1.70/mo
http://www.callnps.com/alacarte.htm

Thanks for the information... The outsourcer just told me I could not get a package like this!!

From the Dish Network Web Site:
http://www.dishnetwork.com/content/...ming_packages/channels/index.asp?NetwID=50327
Network: ENCORE (WEST)
Available in:
AMERICA'S EVERYTHING PAK
AMERICA'S TOP 250
ENCORE MOVIE PAK

http://www.dishnetwork.com/content/...ming_packages/channels/index.asp?NetwID=50329
Network: ENCORE LOVE
Available in:
AMERICA'S EVERYTHING PAK
AMERICA'S TOP 250
ENCORE MOVIE PAK

http://www.dishnetwork.com/content/...ming_packages/channels/index.asp?NetwID=50222
Network: ENCORE ACTION
Available in:

AMERICA'S EVERYTHING PAK
AMERICA'S TOP 250
ENCORE MOVIE PAK

http://www.dishnetwork.com/content/...ming_packages/channels/index.asp?NetwID=50390
Network: ENCORE Drama
Available in:
AMERICA'S EVERYTHING PAK
AMERICA'S TOP 250
ENCORE MOVIE PAK

http://www.dishnetwork.com/content/...ming_packages/channels/index.asp?NetwID=50221
Network: ENCORE MYSTERIES
Available in:
AMERICA'S EVERYTHING PAK
AMERICA'S TOP 250
ENCORE MOVIE PAK

http://www.dishnetwork.com/content/...ming_packages/channels/index.asp?NetwID=50229
Network: ENCORE WESTERNS
Available in:
AMERICA'S EVERYTHING PAK
AMERICA'S TOP 250
ENCORE MOVIE PAK

See ya
Tony

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)