Single line DVR?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

tech007

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jul 14, 2006
California
Does anybody know when Directv is gonna start making DVRs with single cable instead of two lines? I've heard that Direct is working on it and is supposed to come out next year but no specific details.

why wait?

I have an R15 in kitchen that works just fine with single line. at initial hookup i got the searching for signal on 2 message but a quick restart fixed that. no problems since

I have an R15 in kitchen that works just fine with single line. at initial hookup i got the searching for signal on 2 message but a quick restart fixed that. no problems since

Yes it works but you unable to record two channels simultaneously. I am talking about DVR that connects to only one line and you still able to record two shows at a time.

It will never work that way. Each tuner must send a voltage up to the dish to get to the right sat to receive the desired station for that tuner,.

It will never work that way. Each tuner must send a voltage up to the dish to get to the right sat to receive the desired station for that tuner,.

You are correct about how it works but not that there won't be a solution. DirecTV is working on a product called FTM (Frequency Translation Module) which will allow a DVR with FTM compatibility (like the HR20) to drive both tuners from a single cable. There will apparently be an add-on box for older DVRs which will allow them to use FTM.
More info about FTM (capability, pricing, availability) is expected some time in January.

DirecTV is working on a product called FTM (Frequency Translation Module) which will allow a DVR with FTM compatibility (like the HR20) to drive both tuners from a single cable.
afaik the hr20 to record 2 show simultaniously still needs 2 lines coming from lnb or multiswitch so with my 2 hr20's i have 4 lines coming in from switch to house

i know dish has technology todo 2 tuners over single cable but we wont go there

afaik the hr20 to record 2 show simultaniously still needs 2 lines coming from lnb or multiswitch so with my 2 hr20's i have 4 lines coming in from switch to house

i know dish has technology todo 2 tuners over single cable but we wont go there

Why are we not going there Stone ?

I was just going to post that DISH does it, so you know it is possible and don't see why D* cannot do that in the future.

Jimbo

We don't know much about it but the FTM WILL remove the need to run two cables inside your house to a DVR - one cable will suffice. You will still have to connect the FTM to the dish via two cables I suspect. And yes, the Dishpro technology allowed you to do the same thing but DirecTV has to do it with 5 satellites, 7 if they support the 72.5 and 95 satellites, so it's a lot more complex.
There are a few posts around on various forums talking about this and, as I said, we'll know more early next year.

Why are we not going there Stone ?

I was just going to post that DISH does it, so you know it is possible and don't see why D* cannot do that in the future.

Jimbo
i wont go there because i refuse to give dish recommendations
dish does it but you need to buy an expensive multiswitch dpp 44
dtv multiswitches as you know are fairly common and not super expensive
dish however does have this technology but they overcharge for it, dish likes to make there own stuff in house so they can charge arm and leg for accesories as well

We don't know much about it but the FTM WILL remove the need to run two cables inside your house to a DVR - one cable will suffice. You will still have to connect the FTM to the dish via two cables I suspect. And yes, the Dishpro technology allowed you to do the same thing but DirecTV has to do it with 5 satellites, 7 if they support the 72.5 and 95 satellites, so it's a lot more complex.
There are a few posts around on various forums talking about this and, as I said, we'll know more early next year.
sound like it could be simialr to what dish does one cable coming from multiswitch or lnb into house then a dpp seperator(looks like a diplexor/splitter) to turn 1 line into 2 lines at the box

dish however does have this technology but they overcharge for it, dish likes to make there own stuff in house so they can charge arm and leg for accesories as well

IC, Ok....

Jimbo

NO dish boxes, switches, or lnb's will work with directv

Well actually I've seen people without knowing it have regular Directv service regular receivers and DVRs and meanwhile there is a Dish Network dish on the roof and works great. Old dish. I dont know if new dishes are the same.

Yes it works but you unable to record two channels simultaneously. I am talking about DVR that connects to only one line and you still able to record two shows at a time.

Is ralphfurley in an MDU? The R15 has an internal destacker and so it can be fully supported for Satellite "A" reception with a single, stacked coax line and a splitter.

Sometimes, the R15 will detect the stacked line automatically during set-up, but iof it does not, you just press the "Active" and right arrow buttons to bring up the screen that allows you to reconfigure it for internal destacking. The HR 20 does nothave this capability, so I typically wind up charging about $500 to install one in an MDU that makes two stacked trunklines available to each apartment's demarcation point, since I have to install 2 destackers plus some kind of tone switching between the trunks.

Record 2 shows via OTA?

While I know that you need two lines running from the dish to record two shows at once, there is only one cable going from the receiver to the OTA. Is it possible to configure the DVR to record two shows via the OTA at the same time without have two cables running to the dish?

Thanks.

Not true... you can install a Dish 1000 dish with a DP Plus LNB and run a single cable to the DP Plus receiver via a separator (which comes with the receiver). You only need to DPP 44 switch for more complex installs with multiple receivers.

Note also that one ViP622 DVR/receiver can service 2 TVs (one HD, one SD).

Click Here for details.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts