Single-TV user off contract; how to lower bill?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

polksda

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jan 6, 2005
Urbana, IL
I've been off contract since January. I have one HD-DVR. That is the only receiver in the house. I subscribe to "Choice Extra Classic" (grandfathered), with no premium channels.

Charges:

Choice Xtra Classic: $71.99
HD Monthly: $10.00
DVR Monthly: $10.00
Primary TV: $6.00

Credits:

Primary TV Free: -6.00
Adv. Rec. DVR. Free: -10.00
Free HD with Automatic Bill Pay: -10.00

Net: $71.99

For a single-TV environment with no premiums, it's just too damned much. I don't want extra channels. I don't want (or need) to upgrade my equipment.

I've called in trying to get loyalty discounts, even dealing with retentions, and they absolutely will not offer any additional discounts.

As much as I abhor changing providers (or dropping TV entirely), I feel that's my only alternative, or just live with $70+ per month which I feel is too expensive.

Any suggestions for approaches to try?

I've been off contract since January. I have one HD-DVR. That is the only receiver in the house. I subscribe to "Choice Extra Classic" (grandfathered), with no premium channels.

Charges:

Choice Xtra Classic: $71.99
HD Monthly: $10.00
DVR Monthly: $10.00
Primary TV: $6.00

Credits:

Primary TV Free: -6.00
Adv. Rec. DVR. Free: -10.00
Free HD with Automatic Bill Pay: -10.00

Net: $71.99

For a single-TV environment with no premiums, it's just too damned much. I don't want extra channels. I don't want (or need) to upgrade my equipment.

I've called in trying to get loyalty discounts, even dealing with retentions, and they absolutely will not offer any additional discounts.

As much as I abhor changing providers (or dropping TV entirely), I feel that's my only alternative, or just live with $70+ per month which I feel is too expensive.

Any suggestions for approaches to try?

Consider yourself lucky for anything less than $80/month. If $70/month is to much for pay tv programming for you then just watch free OTA tv and rent movies. IMHO

Lower your package ...
Go thru the packages closely and look to see what channels you actually watch.
Choose the package that has only the channels you need.

Your currently getting discounts, they are covering your DVR fee as well as your HD fee already, thats not alot, but it's more than some get.

I can't believe the price of tv period these days, im not bragging in anyway BUT if I got charged anything remotely close to that I'd be a no brainer to me, off it goes!! I grew up poor and never really had a pay tv service and wasn't until maybe 4 years ago I actually hooked mine up. I worked for directv nearly a year before I even hooked my services up. Just not a tv guy except football

Without any premium packages (movies or sports) you have about as much as they will generally offer in credits (free HD and free DVR).

You could likely get discounts on extras like premiums, but they usually don't discount the base package unless it is to save something like Sunday Ticket.

Best suggestion I have is to consider Entertainment or Choice packages, which could get you down to around $55 or $60.

Without any premium packages (movies or sports) you have about as much as they will generally offer in credits (free HD and free DVR).

You could likely get discounts on extras like premiums, but they usually don't discount the base package unless it is to save something like Sunday Ticket.

Best suggestion I have is to consider Entertainment or Choice packages, which could get you down to around $55 or $60.

Don't forget receiver fees. Plus HD fees.
Still don't get why tv providers have to add
Those annoying dvr fees. That's unnecessary.

Don't forget receiver fees. Plus HD fees.
Still don't get why tv providers have to add
Those annoying dvr fees. That's unnecessary.

They add it because they know people will pay it. $10 HD fee, lets say out of 30 million subs 18 million pay that fee a MONTH, do the math. That an easy dollar for charging somebody something a receiver does

They add it because they know people will pay it. $10 HD fee, lets say out of 30 million subs 18 million pay that fee a MONTH, do the math. That an easy dollar for charging somebody something a receiver does

I know the numbers. That's the fee that disturbs me.
Its glutenous. They all do it.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)