Siri hacked to work on iPhone 4 and iTouch

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

mike123abc

Too many cables
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Sep 25, 2003
Norman, OK
AnandTech - Siri Gets Hacked: Running on iPhone 4 and iPod Touch 4G

Developers Steve Troughton-Smith (@stroughtonsmith) and @chpwn have managed to get Siri to run on iPhone 4 and fourth generation iPod Touch (uses the same A4 chip as iPhone 4, but has only 256MB of RAM). Even without the dual core A5 chip, Siri appears to run smoothly. Troughton-Smith said that Siri runs as fast on iPhone 4 as it does on iPhone 4S. The iPod Touch has some problems due to the inferior microphone (iPod Touch wasn't designed for calling like iPhone), requiring you to talk very loudly but the actual Siri software runs flawlessly. Below is a video of Siri running on the iPod Touch.

There is speculation that Apple is limiting this to the iPhone 4S because of back of house capacity. I hope Apple ramps up their server farm to allow more devices to use the service.

I really don't see the usefulness of Siri. I don't use it except for amusement when people ask about my phone.

I really don't see the usefulness of Siri. I don't use it except for amusement when people ask about my phone.

I think the biggest advantage is coming. Since all the processing is done on Apple servers they will be able to dramatically improve it over time. Look at what IBM did with Watson, while I realize it will probably be 10 years out for that much computer power to be available for the masses, I can see Siri steadily moving towards Watson in capability.

I use it for directions; I use it for reminders; I use it to set the alarm clock; I use it for web searches. I use it for the weather. It has plenty of capabilities, just a question of how people make use of it. And I think its still very much in its early stages.

Honestly, at this point, I often forget it is there. Its a neat and often amusing feature, but I havent had much use for it \up till now. That obviously can change.

I used it last night. Just before I went to bed I realized I had to sync my mbp to an app on my iPad before I went to work this morning, and I figured I would forget. So I fired up Siri, said "Set reminder at 7am to..." worked liked a charm.

I am not saying I use it all the time, but I think its just a matter of building it into my routine.

I look forward to seeing it control a TV, if those rumors are true, and it works as I suspect it will, I will be lobbying my wife hard for an Apple iTV when it comes out. :D

I thought the whole point was to give a good excuse to replace the existing iPhone 4 with an iPhone 4S . . . (?)
Isn't it the same screen size? Same resolution? Same phone form-factor?
Yea, the "S" has a hotter processor... did it need one?

1984 came and went, the original Mac came out...
(read the scifi book: 1984)
Big brother in the form of Google has lately been watching you way more so than the government.
Now it looks like Apple is finally getting into the act. ;)
Yes, let's let Siri set our iTV to record our shows, take dictation, navigate us, and order our groceries. - :cool:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)