Sirius Activation Fee

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

SlicerMDM

SatelliteGuys Guru
Original poster
Sep 7, 2003
I'd like to try Sirius but I'm not very optimistic that I'll like it. My main concern is the quality of the audio. Some people say it's horrible, other people say it's fine.

Think there's any chance I can get signed up without paying an activation fee?

Even without an activation fee, I'm going to have to buy a radio and at least 1 month subscription. I really don't want to add another $15 to the cost of something I don't think I'll like -- BUT am willing to try at minimal cost.

PS. Yes, I've listened to the trial over the internet but that doesn't help with how the service will sound in my car.

Get a quality (not always the cheapest) radio with the complete range of FM frequencies, not the 5 - 10 selector some have, if you plan on FM modulation. Talk, weather, traffic and oldies channels sound like good AM and the music sounds as good and better than cassette and FM. Maybe you should find a store or friend with a good system to test it first.

Dont think you will get away from paying the activation fee unless they run some type of promo, and even then you might have to commit to a 3 or 6 month contract.
I know XM did a free activation for X-mas, not sure if you had to commit or not.

Compare a song in mp3 format encoded at 128kbits and 192kbits. The 192 sounds pretty close to CD quality, and the 128 is pretty close to Sirius quality. I was expecting close to CD quality from Sirius when I first got it, but was dissapointed at first. It really depends on the song; some sound better than others. The really noticable audio artifacts are with the higher frequencies. I have mine hooked into an aux in adapter in my car, initially I was running off of FM modulation. I still notice the artifacts, but not as much as before. For me, the absence of commercials more than makes up for any sound quality issues.

PoitNarf said:
Compare a song in mp3 format encoded at 128kbits and 192kbits. The 192 sounds pretty close to CD quality, and the 128 is pretty close to Sirius quality. I was expecting close to CD quality from Sirius when I first got it, but was dissapointed at first. It really depends on the song; some sound better than others. The really noticable audio artifacts are with the higher frequencies. I have mine hooked into an aux in adapter in my car, initially I was running off of FM modulation. I still notice the artifacts, but not as much as before. For me, the absence of commercials more than makes up for any sound quality issues.
Great description.

It's exactly how I feel about it. Not what I expected, but the content is better than what's available on FM. I plan on buying my second radio soon.

Shawn

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)